Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning Disability

Not easy to recognize, if you have a large class. Any thoughts?

Iris,
Why are you trying to "recognize" the students, Iris? If they want some sort of special consideration, they should be identifying themselves to you. You can offer -- a statement inviting to students to contact you, prominently shown in the course syllabus is a great start -- but in the end, it is your responsibility to provide appropriate and reasonable accommodations to students who identify to you. You are not expected to be a mind reader! GRIN

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Scenario:I extended myself, on more than one occasion, to several students to assist them after class with course curriculum, to no avail. I am not sure why they did not take my offer,they passed the class but I could tell it was a struggle for them.I ask myself, Did I do enough?

Russell,
I would suggest that you did enough just by offering -- by extending yourself. Students with disabilities have the right to NOT accept additional assistance. Some feel it is important to find ways of managing on their own. Others may have alternative support networks established that you don't see but that are workable for them. Whatever the reason, you say that the students have passed the classes. That suggests that while they may have appreciated your offer of assistance, they found a way to move forward on their own. Dignity is important, too!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment