Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Forum 2

students with disability can and have creat challenges in the classroom, however this is the challenge that I love the most. I often have students sharing their mental health problem with me.

Alessandra,
You are right -- students with disabilities may reach out for support to faculty who show themselves as caring, intuitive, and approachable. It is lucky for them when they find someone like you, who is willing to listen.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

We recently had a student with a disability reach out to us and really was exciting to see. He has already started to improve.

Josh,
That's always good to hear. Just keep in mind that if the student is being successful now, but not before requesting and receiving accommodations, it doesn't mean that the accommodations MADE him successful. It means that with the appropriate accommodations he COULD be successful. The skills and abilities are still his.
Dr. Jane Jarrow

When we have given the student all the accomodations available and they are still having difficulties, how do we handle this situation?

Halena,
Remember, accommodations are to provide equal access, not success. When you have a nondisabled student whom you have helped in all the ways you can think of, and they are still struggling, what do you do? Same goes here!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment