Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

break down into groups of responsibility

In our School, I have suggested that each area has a specific area of focus and a team leader in charge that changes each quarter and works directly with our School Director. I felt like this way we all could become knowledgeable and accountable for every area of operation in our Institution. Do you think this would be effective?

Retention of records

Does anyone know if there is a list available showing which documents may be destroyed after an acceptable period of time based on federal record-keeping requirements?

Proof of HS Diploma/GED or equivalent

The DOE accepts a student signed attestation of completion as acceptable in meeting this requirement. However, certain states and accrediting bodies require additional documentation such as an official transcript or copy of an original diploma. Does anyone know how the State of Florida fits into this equation. Will an attestation fulfill this requirement or are diploma copies required? Do you know the specific rule I could read to obtain this information?

Internal Procedures

No matter if you call it a Institutional Improvement Plan, Institutional Assessment and Improvement Plan or even just Plan, this document MUST be a living document. You should have a committee (elected officials) within your company that have the ability to review and understand the standards for which your school must comply with to ensure you are meeting internal and external standards. This 'Plan' needs to be reviewed on a consistent basis for implementation and execution of specific benchmarks. If your plan is one or two pages long (and I have seen plans of this magnitude) my guess is that… >>>

Student records

Does anyone know why current student records must be safe from fire, flood and theft but graduate records are not subject to the same guidelines?

Institute of Internal Auditors

Does anyone have experience with the Institute of Internal Auditors, and have you found thier materials, resources, courses helpful in the context of compliance auditing in the private postsecondary education setting?

resources

Can anyone recommend a good resource(s) on the nuts and bolts of implementing a compliance program for an educational insitution specifically? There are lots of resources on internal auditing, which largely focus on the financial aspect of auditing, but I haven't found anything yet that focuses exclusively on compliance issues for educational institutions. I understand the regulatory requirements/framework well, but would like to find something that provides a framework for designing and implementing an actual plan- in terms of organization, timing, defining and communicating scope, templates for report writing, etc. Any suggestions?

How often

In your professional opinion, how often should an internal audit be conducted?

I was wondering if....

anyone out there had a great internal audit mechanism that works for their school. One that would edit all areas of school operation? Admissions, academics, financial aid, and placement???

Follow-up

Response and Follow-up is a huge part of the methodology for internal auditing, as the corrective action plan should address specific items that must be done as well as formulate a plan to ensure the processes will be modified to prevent future violations. Do you have any suggestions for positive/negative reinforcements to ensure adherence to the corrective action plan?

Audits

Do you think it is better to audit all departments at the same time or audit a different department each quarter?

Compliance and size of career school

Do you think that small schools - less than 250 students - should be subject to the same burden of regulatory requirements as larger schools? Schools with larger / multiple campuses typically have corporate compliance staff therby creating a competitive advantage against a smaller school which does not have the resouces for such a staff.

Corrective Action Plans

Describe what should be included in a corrective action plan submitted by a campus or department in response to audit findings. Include specific topics/items that you would want to see for each finding.

Compliance in Business Areas

Selecting one of the business areas covered – marketing, human resources, or information security, describe how critical the business function is to creating a compliant culture in an organization.

Preparing for an Audit

If you were on the receiving end of an audit, what would you do to prepare for a known audit or be proactive in preparing for any potential review? Pick a specific functional area of focus if desired.

Effect of Media

How has the media influenced the regulatory environment in the education industry?