Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Create audits

If a company does not have an audit system in place what is the best way to get everyone involved and consistant with it?

Jamie,
If appropriate, you may do some cross-functional audits between departments whereby someone from one department tests items in another department. This also has a side benefit of cross training and demonstrating impacts that departments have on one another.

Traci Lee

I think this would be great for financial aid and education staff members to audit each others files. Transparency between the two departments would surely be heightened in this scenario.

Aaron,

Agreed - it makes departments recognize any inter-dependencies and can help improve processes as a beneficial "side effect".

Traci Lee

I like the idea of cross departmental auditing but we are so small, I think what would work for us is to have the four main administrators work as a team and spend a day or two going down the sample audit list. This may help ingnite the strategic plan process which has been postponed a few times.

Patricia,
That sounds like a great approach for a small college. It is great if it also has the benefit of the tie to strategic planning. Best of luck to you - I hope it goes well!

Traci Lee

If an organization does not have an audit system and if this is something I need to implement in order to be successful I want to have buy- in from every level. This is the important step in order to make this successful. To get everyone involved and be consistent in practice I would implement change management strategies so that I have a systematic process in place.

Lydell,
Excellent point - buy in at all levels is key to making these efforts meaningful.

Traci Lee

I think the first step would be to develop an audit plan based on the assessment of the school audit risk. The development of this plan should be analyzed by both educational and financial departments. The educational department and the financial aid department should be involved in the process by auditing each others files. This would allow each department to have more clarity on the rules, regulations and policies that are required. This would also be a beneficial cross-trainng tool and help each department to see how their work directly affects all other departments.

Stephanie,
I completely concur with the benefits you mentioned. Such awareness helps people understand the "why" behind certain processes.

Traci Lee

I feel creating a schedule for the audit process and notifying each department when their area will be audited would be the first step. After conducting an introductory audit and revealing areas for improvement/department best practices, I would show how the improvements and best practices apply to our policies to help all individuals develop a deeper understanding of the school's processes.

Elizabeth,
I think your suggestion on helping people gain a deeper understanding is useful to reinforce the importance and rationale behind process changes for improvement. Sometimes things "stick" better if people know the "why" behind it.

Traci Lee

Hi Lydell

I agree that having everyone involved is important, and to keep all plans and policies available to ensure no one has a negative reaction to being audited. To get a positive result which would result in more of a team building rather than a "them and me" attitude, you need for everyone to understand the overall success of your school it the goal.

Sandra

Hi Jamie

I would bring it up in a meeting with administration and staff first, to get a consensus on what your company needs to do to perform at a maximum level in order to succeed. Make sure there is a positive attitude presented, that everyone has an investment in the overall success of your company, and the best way to reach that goal is to keep mistakes to a minimum, and create a well organized and functioning business. an audit system that is complete and non-judgmental is the best way to accomplish this. Have it be well written and easily complied with.

Sandra

sandra,
I concur with your intent to gain consensus thru understanding the shared success goals.

Traci Lee

Sign In to comment