Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Accomodating a Learning Disability

My student had a learning disability. Functionally, she had difficulty in choosing words to speak and difficulty correctly spelling the term. She knew the term.

During office hours, I spent time with her to review the concepts/definition and place them on flash cards. I identified early that Repetitiveness was key to her exam success. I also noted on the first exam that she was spelling words the way she spoke them. I changed the format of the exam to Multiple Choice for all students, without changing the integrity of the test.

After taking this course, I am curious if I confused success with access.

Cindy,
Not at all. You did what you could to FOSTER her success -- as you would have done with any student who was struggling. And you were astute enough to recognize what worked and didn't work for this student and figured out a way to reconfigure the test for ALL students that worked for ALL students. That's called "universal design", not over-accommodation! GRIN

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Thanks! This experience taught me to rethink how I test students.

Thanks!! This experience has also taught me that rethinking the testing process has helped a few students who are Dyslexic.

Lori,
And my guess is that it has helped students without disabilities, as well. That's what Universal Design is all about!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment