Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

My role

My role is to understand and accommodate the students needs in the learning environment.

Linda,
Is that any different than your role - or your intent - with any student. It is always good to remember that students with disabilities are more LIKE other students than they are different.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I believe my role is to treat each student fairly and with respect regardless of any other factor or challenge they may face in life. I also believe that I have a responsibility to ask for help to educate myself on the challenges faced by disabled students, which will allow me to best educate them where they are.

Amanda,
You seem to be off to a great start in meeting the responsibilities you have set out for yourself.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I do feel that their is sometimes a lack of knowledge on the instructor or other faculty on how to properly deal an accomodate individuals with disabilities. By saying this we should continue to broaden our knowledge of disabilities, not only know but know how to assist the students successfully.

Halena,
There should be someone at your institution who has the responsibility of collecting documentation from students with disabilities and determining what accommodations are necessary. That person should also be in a position to help instructors know how best to help.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment