Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Secret Identity

I plan to implement this game when I teach Medical Terminology. I like it because it will allow my students to move about the room and meet other students while using their Med Term skills at the same time. I like it also because I can make the cards ahead of time and use them throughout class to break up class period. Get them up and out of their seats, moving. Plus, it doesn't have to take tons of time to play.

Visual methods

I like using a combination of both visual and hands on to teach my students. The use of both really helps to get and keep the students interest, as well as helps them to put things together so they have a better understanding. For example, we like to play med term jeapordy. The students are able to see the word parts/suffixes/prefixes and they can physically match them on the board.

Word Searches using prefix, suffix and combining forms

Another way to create a word search is to list a prefix, suffix and/or combining form on the bottom of the word search puzzle with a blank line next to each one. The student would need to define each of the prefixes, suffixes and/or combining forms and the definition is the word listed in the puzzle. Many students just look for common words in the puzzle and then match the word to the correct prefix, suffix and/or combining form.

Small Individual White Board Activity

Most students like to write on white boards. Using small (inexpensive) white boards, the instructor can ask questions pertaining to the topic and ask the students to write on their white board. A score can be kept if the class is competitive.

Creative teaching

I am so excited about this course. I will adapt and use many of these strategies in my clinical setting. I am so motivated to use some of these great ideas. Sometimes I struggle to come up with new ideas, this will be a great help. Thanks

Changing the tone of the Instructor's voice during the lecture.

I noticed changing the tone of voice, walking around the class, discussing a funny subject related experience and hands of training of equipment help students retain information for a long time.

bloody pizza

OOPs! NOt really bloody but it is related to ABG and Pizza. A little stupid. I don't think I have time to bring ingredients to make a pizza and make it to be a teaching tool for ABG interpretations. But the lecture material did admit that some of these methods are out in left field so to speak. The 3x5 cards for ABG is a excellent tool for abg interpretation. Pizza thing is for children I think.

Teaching strategy

I do hands on at the bedside with pts who are possibly alert but almost all non-verbal. I keepin mind they hear every word said. I will use the gesture mode to signal student in the process of a procedure to stop! Then we can regroup eithor at the bedside or out of the room and discuss the problem.

Crosswords

After every chapter in our book there are crosswords and we use them as a group activity.

Visual Methods

Using visual means of teaching is very important. There are some students that learn better because they are visual learners.

Matching

Using flashcards in a matching game would be very interesting and fun. Matching the cards to make combining forms would be great.

Group Topics

Have a great topic in mind that will keep the interest of the students and also at the same time allow it to be educational.

Using Learning Techniques

Playing games that take the interest of the class is a good learning technique.

Visual Method

I agree with a number of my fellow instructors that the visual method has worked out well for my students. Incorporating power point slides keeps the student glued to the topic given illustrations in addition to the text. One observation is that the attention of the male student appears to be more noticeable vs. the ladies in the classroom using the visual technique.

Crossword Puzzles

They work just great, I have found that the students like the challenge and that some of the students perform newspaper and magazine crossword puzzles as well.They like to show you their greatness :)

Jeopardy Game

I agree with a number of my fellow participants that the jeopardy game is one of many games/learning activities that can be incorporated into the classroom. I would also add that you can use this technique on an as needed basis because at times it gets old and new learning activities must be used to keep the students attention. When I first started teaching, I was told that I would need to entertain the students to keep them actively involved. I found that stand up comedy in front of many people provided entertainment as well and utilizes a number of… >>>

refocus at the end of a long class

Put Pre-printed test questions numbered and multiple choice in a grap bag and 2nd bag with the rationales but not numbered--Split class in half and have each half draw from one bag and match up question and rationale.

Hygiene!!

I is of very importance that we stress to our students that they must at all times in a medical setting practice great hyigene at all times.

T-Shirt Method

T-Shirt activity is a great idea, because this would give students a chance to draw, structures hands on and this way they will remember where the structures are located in the body.

Dot Board Idea!

I believe the dot board should be used more and can be used in alot of settings. The board allows you to keep track of what everyone is doing so even if you forgot what a person was doing you will always know. This also gives you a steady pace to go by in a medical setting to check on everyone.