Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Very good ideas

I find these to be some much need strategies at this time for me. I have a group of students that are not that much in to participation and this seems to be a good way to get them to open up and actually learn some things at the same time. Look forward to incorporating some of these soon.

Peer Language

My goodness this is so true... The world as it is, sometimes this is essential. I remember when I went threw this and the strong individual I am sometimes I found this very hard. I will say that team work is probably one of the most important lessons that we COULD ever teach know matter what field one is in. What I think this does teach eventually is personal responsibility to our selves. Then to another!!

Shifting Our Focus

When grasping the attention of all my students at once is a beautiful thing. Just seeing this in there eyes lets me know I've hit a high note. How ever this is not all the time and this outline has taught me a few tricks that I will concentrate on. Has this happened to anyone else?

Art Learning

Some students become frustrated with their lack of art skills, do you ask them sit back and observe? Why are some students reluctant in using illustrations to study?

Activities During Class Break

Some students complain about having even though I feel these breaks are necessary for overall classroom effectiveness. Can I utilize some of those activities for those students who don't want to break? Or should I force them to take a break?

Group Activity Learning Games

Are games in which students remain seated been proven to be less effective? I feel some students take the opportunity to act wild when we play games when standing, how do I handle those students? What if a student refuses to play?

Group Learning

Do you feel that when doing group learning to reinforce lecture material should the instructor always assign students in groups? Or is it ok to allow them to choose groups occasionally? What do you feel is the best way to assign groups to create variety? If a student does not like group learning then is it ok if they work alone during the rest of the class is engaging in group learning?

Follow-up with past students

It would be great to have many or all previous students come back and share but they are probably working. If they cannot come I was thinking of creating a photo, memory book that they can email me to share without physically coming to visit.

Learner's frame of mind

When a new class starts we have current students share some of the things they do to study that they have found helpful.

Different Learning

How often in a week of lecture should the instructor be teaching to all the different learning styles?

Teaching to different learning styles

Can thinking about someone's favorite class in school and remembering how they studied be a good way to help students learn?

Critical Thinking vs. Common Sense

Hello Everyone: My name is Hudson and I'm an instructor in a VN program. I have taught both clinical and didactic, but currently I'm only in the clinical setting. One of the challenges I encounter in clinical is getting some students to use common sense. I believe there must be a foundation of common sense before one can develop critical thinking. For example, a former student was walking down the hallway of our clinical site. I was following behind her, but she didn't know I was there. She was carrying a cup of coffee to a patient's room (not her… >>>

Visual Methods

I utilize photographs of certain structures, procedures or diseases in my powerpoints. I also like to show short videos covering the subject we just covered

Assessing which methods appeal to the majority of students

I personally hate crossword puzzles and word searches as a learning tool while I love "matching' concentration style. Almost every class has a few students who think like me and some the exact opposite. The challenge is to find the right mix that keeps the majority interested and involved

Million Dollar Pyramid

This game was part of a CD-rom from The Language of Medicine. The students matched categories like "diseases of gastrointestinal tract" with phrases placed on the pyramid. Amazing how excited they got at "winning" the money.

Memory Aids

What are some of your suggestions for memory aids? For example I tell students the way to remember "brachi" means arm is that my mother used to tell me "I will break your arm" when I touched something I shouldn't

Jeopardy method

I have had my class play Jeopardy with their medical terminology. It has worked well and they seem to enjoy it!

Match cards

I have used this method and it works well, however, my learners are at the end of their coursework and I'm looking to step it up..any ideas as to how I can best prepare them for their certification exam?

College level games

As my students prepare for their certification exam, I am working on new ways to help them recall and remember the information. Does anyone have any great ideas. There is a lot of information to cover in a short timeframe.

Long term recall

By the time my students get to my class they are in the final phase of their program. I am trying to find a way to help them recall all that has been learned in their coursework to help prepare them for their certification exam. Short of tests that review what they've learned from day 1, I am looking for better ideas.