Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

All!

I like all the games! I plan on incorporating them in as soon as I can!

Brush with Fame

This topic was very important, because we as doctors and nurse never know who is listening to us and we discuss to many health related information out in the open. We must at all times remember the HIPPA act.

Use adult or infant models

Instead of stuffed animals, let's use models that are more realistic. Students learn by repetiton.

visual methods for learning

At least 80% of the students I see are visual. Many times I have them come to the board and actually draw what they think they have learned. It again steps them out of the box and we laugh and all learn together.

using crossword puzzles

I use crossword puzzles for a "change of pace" not for every chapter...but a pop-up for a homework assignment and when it comes up the students enjoy the chance for a change of pace.

baseball with terms

I really think that this is good and healthy! It came to mind to continue to think of varied learning styles that go along with the seasons.

Crossword Puzzle

This is a great idea. Do anyone know and web sites that can help me create crossword puzzle?

Jeopardy

I really enjoy playing Jeopardy with medical terminology words,it helps the student to remember the meaning of more words the just doing them out of the book. Thanks for the new games. I will be trying a few.

Thanks

That was great information. I'm just learning new ways to keep student entertain while teaching new material. Thanks

games

I like alot of these Ideas- I think students really enjoy being competitive. Some of the mild students will surprise you with their "need to WIN" nature.

Visual Methods: Using power point pictures

For my students,they had to identify the microscpe i had put up a microscope on the white board from the projector and one person from the teams had to come up and write on the white board and draw a line to the part they were identifing on the microscope for points it went really well. Love the visual memory!

Vacation

I loved this...something that will definitely make an impact, and that I need to remember as well.

Methods of teaching

It is very important for instructors to utilize different types of learning methods for students.

Group activity

Group activity is a good learning tool for students to share ideas and views on the topic at hand and to also exchange different methods of studying.

Ball tossing

This activity is a great way for students to retain information regarding medical terminology, but will this truly make the students more interesting in learning more without playing this activity?

memory

What are some other ways and strategies instructors can use to help students retain information?

Jeopardy

This is one of the ways that I teach all my classes for a review session in the past. I have also done team 4 or 5 to a group like a College Bowl.

Hygiene Hy-Jinx

Another good topic that was discussed. At the beginning of each of our module, we go over general guidelines for the practice in school. I always make it a point to emphasize to the students that it is very important to have good hygiene. They sit close to each other that it is important that they do not bathe themselves with cologne or other sprays. I keep reminding them that however they behave in school is how they will behave once they are out there. Wearing uniforms that are cleaned and ironed, badges on, little makeup, hair neatly off their… >>>

Incredible Edible Cell

With the new technology that is being accessible to students and instructors, presenting our lessons become more interesting and exciting. Like this simple project of the Jell-O edible cell, it makes it easy to do different cell structures at a very cheap price. Using these props also makes it interesting for students to remember the anatomic cells. Candies are also good to use and after the lesson then students will have fun eating the goodies.

Staff Surprises

I have heard of extern scomplain that the managers or the staff do not know what they are doing, they are cranky, only allows them to file but I seldom hear from externs saying that they are appreciative of the time staff spends with them to teach them new skills. Students should remember that these people are busy. They are good enough to accomodate these students even on their busy schedules. I always remind my student sbefore they go to externship to always thank the people training them for their time. Be helpful in any small way they can help.