Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Brush with Fame

This is a very good reminder not only for the student sbut also for the instructors. We forget about the HIPAA requirement that we are sometimes not aware that we are already discussing confidential matters along the corridors, in the restrooms, in cafeterias, or even in the shopping mall. We forget that sometimes the patient might be behind us or a family or friend of a patient can hear the discussions. Knowing a gossip about a celebrity sometimes makes it exciting to talk about for hours. Then people end up talking about some medical histories that they might be aware… >>>

Using different methods

As for as using different methods to educate students, using different color markes to write notes on the board and to elaberate my point is best received by my students. using one color tends to be boring as i was told. Points that i need to stand out more than the rest i use a different color, and so far it has been effective.

Crossword Puzzles

THe books that we use for our term classes come with an instructor resource CD and that CD contains several different types of puzzles. I use them for every single term class I teach, because they can be used to assess knowledge and let you know where students may be struggling in certain areas.

Secret Identity

I really like this idea, simple yet engaging. I can see a lot of applications for this, not only with medical terminology, but recognizing disease symptoms as well.

Bone DIg

We have a large sandbox outside our classroom where we bury various loose bones. The students locate them like they were on an archeological dig and have to name them. Then we have them assemble the skeleton

Bigger Classses

I love all of the ideas and cannot wait to try them. I normally teach a class of anywhere from 25-30 students...do the baseball and football games work as well with 13-15 people on a team?

Ball Toss your knowledge

I'm very interested and excited to adapt the ball toss review in my class. I think this is an excellent way to have students remember and important point in all that was done in class.

Medical Terminology team competition

Before a quiz I like to divide the class into 2 teams. I then have the students go up against each other and writing on the board. I ask a question such as "what is the abbreviation for", who ever wrties the answer the quickest gets the point. Students seem to enjoy it alot and quiz scores are excellent. I would recommend playing this game. Students are very involved since it is a competition.

Relay

I think this is a great idea! I am looking forward to trying it out in class when we begin the Digestive System. I think it will be a real asset when there are large content areas to check that everyone understands the material. The relay race game seems like it will be alot of fun and it will take the student anxiety out of the topic and leave a pleasant memory in its place :)

flash cards

My school uses a textbook that comes with premade flash cards and I am doing a beat the clock game with them. The students sit in pairs with their decks. One person is the timer. The other person shuffles their deck. Each person has 2 minutes to say what the definition is on the back of the flashcard. The front of the flashcard will have suffixes, prefixes, word roots and medical abreviations. The student then turns over one card at a time. If they guessed correctly it goes into the points pile if they do not guess correctly it goes… >>>

Free crossword puzzle maker

I use this one: http://www.theteacherscorner.net/printable-worksheets/make-your-own/crossword/crossword-puzzle-maker.php I found it to be a good resource for my students.

Creating crosswords

are there websites or resources to create puzzles and crosswords?

Medical Puzzles

In addition to crosswords and word searches, I have also used Word Scrambles. Since my class entails spelling quizzes for every unit, I feel that word scrambles are a great way to help students to remember how to spell medical terms correctly. I do make sure that there is a equal mix of easy ones versus hard ones; just to keep them on their toes. =)

Breaking Up the Monotony

It's so important to do various activities in the classroom; most especially in an anatomy or terminology class. These types of courses can be very complex, and monotonous after a while if you don't do anything to spice it up. I especially liked the "Secret Identity" and "Baseball" games presented in this unit. I will be sure to use them in the very near future.

Small Group

I love the ideas of playing group games, but my difficulty is that I only have 8 students in my MT/AP class right now. Any ideas for smaller groups. Scrabble will definitely work, and I'm planning on trying that, but other ideas would be helpful.

medical terminology

I teach medical terminology (min 2 classes a semister) and I try to keep the class interesting by having each student ( every class) sound out the word and tell the definition and break down the words ( suffix, prefix and root word)

ritecode.com

I use the web site www.ritecode.com to have students review and take online graded quizzes on insurance, coding and med. term. It holds their interest and they get immediate feedback.

Activity Ideas

I love the idea of crossword puzzles. I will use them for fillers as students finish test. It can give them a head start on the next chapter. Great ideas. I can't wait to try them!

Excited for new ideas!!

I love playing games in my classes. I am very excited to try these. I also have played around-the-world with medical terminology. It seems to go over real well.

Learning

I am learning so much about the type of learners in a class. I have been trying a lot of these games and it is so clear to pick out the different types of learners. This is going to be very helpful once I know what type of learners I have in a class.