Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

What makes team teaching good

Collectively great work can be done 

Teaching Medical Terminology in Fun and Exciting Ways

This course is a great way to supplement any Medical Terminology textbook/workbook. It is engaging, interactive, and you'll achieve better student understanding and outcomes.

Follow-up Plans for Student Learning | Origin: ED312

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Teaching to the Learning Styles of Allied Health Students --> Follow-up Plans for Student Learning

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

How to Assess and Utilize a Learner's Favorite Frame of Mind | Origin: ED312

Teaching to the Learning Styles of Allied Health Students --> How to Assess and Utilize a Learner's Favorite Frame of Mind

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Make Educational Theory Relevant in Your Classes | Origin: ED312

Teaching to the Learning Styles of Allied Health Students --> Make Educational Theory Relevant in Your Classes

Operationalizing Educational Theory in Your Classes | Origin: ED312

Teaching to the Learning Styles of Allied Health Students --> Operationalizing Educational Theory in Your Classes

Visual and Kinesthetic Teaching Tools: Part 2 | Origin: ED311

Creative Teaching Tools in Clinical and Didactic Courses --> Visual and Kinesthetic Teaching Tools: Part 2

Visual and Kinesthetic Teaching Tools: Part 1 | Origin: ED311

Creative Teaching Tools in Clinical and Didactic Courses --> Visual and Kinesthetic Teaching Tools: Part 1

Clinical Setting Teaching Tools | Origin: ED311

Creative Teaching Tools in Clinical and Didactic Courses --> Clinical Setting Teaching Tools

Didactic Content Teaching Tools | Origin: ED311

Creative Teaching Tools in Clinical and Didactic Courses --> Didactic Content Teaching Tools

Using Visual Methods | Origin: ED310

Teaching Medical Terminology in Fun and Exciting Ways --> Using Visual Methods

Using Individual Activities to Teach Medical Terminology | Origin: ED310

Teaching Medical Terminology in Fun and Exciting Ways --> Using Individual Activities to Teach Medical Terminology

Group Activities | Origin: ED310

Teaching Medical Terminology in Fun and Exciting Ways --> Group Activities

Creating Long-Term Memory | Origin: ED310

Teaching Medical Terminology in Fun and Exciting Ways --> Creating Long-Term Memory

3 colored dots

I liked the idea of the dots on the students' watches. The red dot means to get instructor oversight, with the other dots reminding the students of other steps. I teach Radiology for the Dental Hygienist, and there are times they need to have the instructor come and check their first two images. That could be our red dot. There is always the lead vest, which at times gets forgotten. There could be a dot for that. A very subtle way of remembering and having the instructor know where they are in their appointment.

Concept mapping

We have found using concept mapping is a great way to help the students understand what they've learned in theory and what they see in clinicals. It really helps the light bulb gooff as it starts to make more sense!

Fun times

This was interesting

Team Building AND Learning

When I see that my class is losing energy and motivation, and morale is beginning to drop, this is when I implement team building strategies and learning activities ( a few of which have been described in this class). It works!!  Teambuilding is about providing the skills and training and resources that your students need, so that they can work in harmony. When this is achieved students will have a clear purpose, such as improving a certain skill (ie medical terminology).  I guess, I am trying to say that peer work is awesome!

Secret Identity Game

I love the idea of the secret identity game! It seems like a great way to get the studnts involved with eachother and to introduce the power of open ended questions.

Guess the Term By Deductive Reasoning

I have bought sticky name tags and will write various terms on them from Chapter 2 in Oral Pathology.  The stickers will be placed on the backs of the students tomorrow morning and then I will instruct them to ask questions regarding the classifications of the term and have one student, in a pair of students, try to figure out which lesion is stuck to the back of their partner based on color, texture, size, location in the oral cavity,severity, and any other relevant oral conditions.

I'll let you know how it goes...