Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

I use mind mapping, having the students draw as a group what they have learned.

Reinforcement

Students love to use many varieties of reinforcements. I use crosswords and word searches in my classroom. I will definitly incorporate the use of a mystery word each week!

Terminology Games

I found that an activity called "The Bump-It" game has been rewarding for the students. You have all your students line up in front of the classroom and you have a variety of questions prepared for review. You ask a question and the first person who raises their hand gets to answer the question, if it is correct, that person can bump out the person to the right or left(they take a seat). The idea is to have one person standing in the end! The students go crazy over this game...after the first time playing, you will see that they… >>>

Medical Terminology Games

In my terminology classes, we play a combining forms game with two teams and the first team who can write the meaning of the combining form gets the point. It is a fun way to get your students to be engaged and use teamwork to earn prizes!

Using nWord Puzzles

I have used a variety of word puzzles for many years with great success. Sometimes I use them as an additional assignment to reinforce classroom terminology, others to replace a low daily grade. Students don't always realize they are learning. I have had some who balk because they feel they don't have time for what they deem to be "silliness." There are times when I use search-a-words as fillers after a test, and the students look forward to them--occasionally I interject a holiday centered puzzle. All-in-all, the word puzzle idea is great, and I will use the ones you have… >>>

Using relationships

The students take pictures of instruments for flashcards and must come up with an audionym or relationship for instant recall.

Audionyms

Audionyms are useful. Personalizing relationships for memorization also works.

Scavenger Hunt

Scavenger Hunt is a great game for learning where items are located.

Wheel of knowledge

This idea can be used for the most important items only. Seems time consuming.

Scavenger Hunt

Issue each student a list of items that they need to collect. Make sure each student has a name tag on that helps. Give each student 1 or 2 of those items. Have each student go around the room introducing themselves and asking for items on the list. This makes for a good icebreaker and a way for students to meet and get to know each others' names on the first day of class.

Excited to try

I am excited to try a couple of the suggested learning games! I teach an evening class and toweard the endof the class I can see everyone getting sleepy. I think these games are a great way to get the students active, involved and AWAKE.

Learning Games

I have used a game in my Med Term class that involves splitting the class into two groups and answering various types of Medical Terminology questions. I have found resistance from some students who claimed, they did not like games. I found that once we got started they really enjoyed themselves and actually learned or rembered things they thought they didn't know. Does anyone one else use games in their classes or have any suggestions for group activities?

Term and definition matching cards

I think one of the best way to teach terminology is "term and Definition matching cards" but we can only use it for limite number of terminology in each period.

I like to make jeopardy games from a power point I have. It makes it fun and interesting to have the class break into teams and play for a small silly prize

I like the idea of telling a story to teach the steps of CPR and would change a few things about the story. The other ideas are great but may not relate to my classes

I have used the BINGO game since my first quarter teaching and it has worked very well. I use index cards but not with events. I will write dose avail/dose ordered and ask for students to figure the dose given. I also make cards with lab tests and expect them to know what tube to draw.

I teach a lot of hands on courses so the wheel of knowledge would be a great idea to tmplement in my class

How Do I Keep Dry Subjects Interesting?

When students ask me questions during clinical time at the hospital, sometimes I encourage them to do some research on the internet and then present on that subject in post-conference. What are some other techniques for learning that can keep the students emotionally invested and involved?

Two groups for relay

I find students like to compete, with using two lines of students and a timer, I'm sure they will be ready to test their knowledge. Is this wrong to have students compete?

what kind of group activities can we use for small groups

are there any good activities that we can use that will engage learners in smaller groups?