Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Critical thinking

I liked the idea of event cards to encourage critical thinking with some common scenarios they may encounter.It helps them making a fast right decision and judgement .Also the student has to have the habit of expressing their appreciation to the staff for the opportunity that was given for training and refrain from creticizing anyone doing a different way and the importance of being flexible.

what is wrong with the picture

I think this teaching way is very usefull specially with a medical assistant.Train them to be more perceptive and more observant. they are the first person that see the patient, taking history about past and present condition, using the 5 senses while talking with the patient is of a very important role since you can see something or feel what is wrong with that patient and advise the physician so he can use this with his judgement on the case.

games

Doing these type of games would be beneficial when it comes to the skeletal system..Will try them..!

Massage instruction

Ideas when teaching hands-on classes is vital to massage programs

On the job skills.

How do you make repetitive skills new and exciting?

Difficult content.

Go step by step and give plenty of time for quiestions and reinforcement.

On the job skills.

Invite other students from different programs to participate as patients.

Teaching hands on Material.

What is the best way to teach hands on while using power point?

Being a Learner

Everyday that I have a class it's a new experience. The sad part is in Adult Education, We have students that do work day or night and are exhausted when they come in. I have learned to keep them on their toes when I start to see a lull. I will give breaks when needed but I always give surprise labs when I feel like its time for a shake-up.

Visual

I have students all watch ER or House and write down as many words as they pick up, then we all go over lists the next day in class.

learning styles for adult learners

ask about their favorite television sit-coms or game shows. ask what is it about these shows that sparks their attention and have them to share with the class, one thing that they can relate to their personal lives, be it good, bad or indifferent. and as a group exercise, make up a game that relates to their field of study, to help them to understand, become motivated and to retain, every aspect of their course.

encouraging students to take advantage of every learning tool available

first read each assigned medical terminology chapter, more than once. write down terms that are proplexing to them and discuss them, with their instuctor.take advantage of the medical flesh cards in the back of their manuals. let their medical dictionary become their second right hand and lastly, the internet on-line medical dictionary.

medical terminology thinking outside of the box

i have found that it is easier for new students learning medical terminology, to think outside of the box than inside. for example: how to live long, answer:dilate

handling daily challenges as an adult learner

staying focus, remembering the centerpointe for making any big life decision. and being able to stay on course, inspite of life's challenges. but always remembering, that life is not tied with bow, but it is still a gift!

visual

most of us in medicine are visual.

you have to do something that will help you to remember the medical terms. activites are good to relate that to

group activities

this is good, it breaks up the day

learner in your own class

you learn what works and what doesnt. if it doesnt work youhave to changhe it

Bonus Points

I found that students get more involved when there is a small prize at the end of the game such as a bonus point that they can use toward their grade. How do you get the shy learner to participate?

Adult Learners

How do you keep your class fun but at a level for adult learners?