Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Nerf Ball Review

What a great idea to try at the end of class or for a review class prior to a test!  I cannot wait to try this next semester.

Do you learn by teaching others?

I think my students learn better when they teach me.  I prefer to be the "Guide by the side" as opposed to the "Sage on the stage".  What do you think?

Rebus Puzzles

Hi Everyone,

I really like the idea of incorporating rebus puzzle games in my classroom as a way to learn medical terminology.  However, when I googled rebus puzzle maker it gave me a pictogram puzzle maker instead.  I can use this too for class but would like to incorporate both ideas into my classroom.  Does anyone know where I can find a rebus puzzle maker (like the game show Concentration) on the internet?  If so, please let me know the URL.

Thanks,

Ms. Bacon

ED 310

I think I'll use the "name badge on the back" to introduce my first set of terminology terms next quarter.

ED310

For my next class I plan to incorporate the Question and Answer Relay Race but as a competition between two teams.  I think my students will enjoy it.

Great Ideas

Use some of these in my teaching already but great ideas to use to go off of in the future. Haven't thought of the shower cap that is great. Thank you for the new learning as I continue to learn everyday.

Teaching strategy

How has your experience as an instructor being with engaging a student in the allied health educational track to effectively learn and retain the course content?

Medical Terminology

When introducing games how do you deal with the students that don't want to "play".

Assessment in Your Classroom

There are countless options for digital assessment and evaluation tools, but not all

choices are appropriate for the measurement of every learning outcome. This course is

designed to help you understand your choices and help you select and implement the

best digital assessment and evaluation options for you and your students.

What do you do when your student doesn't want to be there

There are those student who come along and you know they either 1. didn't want to start the programbut their parents forced them to do it, 2. are doing it with a friend or sister, or 3. just didn't know what else to do and this seemed like a good idea.

How do you try and reach them and get them to care about the profession?

baseball or flip card

I really like these ideas! I have been teaching Medical Terminology now for about 1.5 years and it is a tough course. I explain it as building a home, you need to have a sturdy foundation otherwise everything around just crumbles. Med Term is that foundation. It IS a new language, and as is with all languages, it takes dedication and work to master. This doesn't come easy and it's not suppose to. I try everything I can to make the class more interactive and enjoyable, although there are times I just feel defeated. I must admit, jeopardy helps! I… >>>

PowerPoint teaching versus Lecturing from book

Is one method better than the other or should I incorporate both?

Beat the clock

Beat the clock encourages motivation in learning

Game learning

Learning while doing something physical helps to improve memorization

Terminology

Matching Terminology

Increasing retention

Using memory boasting learning aids

Dots and interaction with staff

The idea of dots is a unique way in which the instructor can monitor the student's abilities in different skill sets. This places the focus on the student to obtain the required competency skills checked off without direct supervision from an instructor. I also found it quite informative when discussing staff and the procedures that are being performed on patients. While instructing students in the textbook manner, oftentimes in a clinical setting they may encounter procedures being performed that are not neccesssarily by the book. This allows the student to reinforce their skill sets when performing tasks while seeing alternative… >>>

Jeopardy

I like using the Jeopardy game in my veterinary terminology class. The student are broken into small groups and each group has a farm animal buzzer. The questions get harder the more points they are worth and the final jeopardy question is fun for the students. This game is actually great for any class review, not just terminology.

Rapper style

I found this helpful in understanding the new generation of thinkers. My own daughter used to study this way. And, until I understood this is how she learned, I have a very difficult time with it.

Teaching Allied Health classes when students don't "get it"?

I have been teaching Allied Health classes for 11 years now. And, I should have had this course available to me years ago! I have had challenges with students and their learning styles over the years. Coming from a strict, nursing background, I often found it difficult to comprehend "why" some students didn't understand? With this course, I am given an insight now on how to approach each stundent.