Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

great ideas

I like the sheet idea for cardiac circulation.

Concepts

I foind the dot idea to be great regardless of location of teaching.

Hangman wheel

I think that is a great idea!

Activity after each new topic taught

I generally do some activity like play a game, ask them question on the topic or give them some worksheet to do after new topic. This way I keep them engaged and the students don't sleep in the class. Some of them have a very short span of learning and changing activities keep them alert and they are keen to know what is going to come next. This way the class is not very monotonous.

ideas

I think it is important to give short breaks to summarize with interactive activities for students, it helps to reinforce learning.

ideas

I like all the ideas, the Tshirt ideas is great for respiratory and cardiac systems.Because I teach on line I am not able to use most of these ideas. I would like to see interactive ideas for online nursing classes.

on the job

I teach online so it is difficult to do this, but the use of concept maps and pictures can be done online to start discussions and get students thinking.

Dots

I love the ides of using dots on clinical sites to help me keep track of what the students are doing and not doing during their shift. It can be overwhelming trying to keep track of everyone all day and who has done what. I liket hat it also gives them some responsibilty as well. I try to instill in students the need for them to get the most oout of their clinicals as possible and that they are just as responsible as I am in finding experiences.

memory

I found it interesting that emotions are tied to our memory and that this is the key to remembering. I will definitely use this as a discussion in my next class. Diane

Works for all

I have worked with children with special needs outside of the classroom setting. The strategy on using emotion to assist with memory has helped with them as well. I have been using this techique in class and outside of class and have seen great results. Thank you for such helpful advise.

Great ideas for MT

All the games are great ideas for teaching Medical Term. I like all the ball games. Sounded like fun.

Can't wait to try some of these....

I will be starting my new class soon. I can't wait to try some of these different techniques to see if it perks things up a little. I think the competition parts will wake up their brains a little, while the physical parts such as throwing a ball or walking around will keep their bodies active as well. I'm looking forward to Jeopardy and maybe the Ball Toss. I've had my eye on one of those cool, spiny, squishy Koosh Balls for a while - now I finally have a reason to buy one without my 15 year old daughter… >>>

Medical Terminology

I have used scenarios for meaning of words and looked up the word in front of the class on my power point chats

Medical Terminology

Having a triva game would also be another way to utilize learning in medical terminolgy

ATTENTION SPAN

I HAVE A FEW STUDENTS THAT NO MATTER HOW HARD I TRY I CANNOT GET THEM TO PAY ATTENTION OR ATTENDANCE IS A ISSUE?

Event Cards

Encouraging adult learners with hands on activities is a great idea. Of course, the information will retain in different ways depending on each individual but I will try. Sounds fun and engaging.

Activities used in class

I have tried many activities even some that the students suggest if they are appropriate. Learning by doing is an excellent way to learn difficult terms or dry content. I have used many of the activities mentioned in the this course, we also have suggested activities in our course manuals. I also look for activities on the internet. My students like the variety and seem to enjoy class more.

Engaging students when teaching Medical Terminology

In my class I use a variety of teaching methods such as; Medical Term Bingo with Bingo cards that have word parts on them and a highlighter as the marker the students may have as many cards as they like, the more cards the more word parts they learn. I also give out small prizes like pencils and inexpensive school supplies that I find at the Dollar Store. Some other activities are individual class presentations to build student confidence in speaking sometimes hearing the subject matter from each other help them to retain the information easier. I assign group projects… >>>

king size flat sheet

I will use this idea next time I teach the circulation, may be mixing fun with that topic will make it easy for me and the students rather than using my overhead pictures

kinestetic learning

The idea will be so helping in explaining how a body system is working .