Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

using iphones,

I have asked my Y students to do researches on their Iphone. Some will follow the instructions very well, others started checking their e-mails. We need to keep control on all times.

diferent styles of teaching

It is very important to know your audience, so we can adapt our teaching techniques

GEN Y

it seems as though the number of ADD and ADHD cases is on the rise. I know I am aware of the fact that Gen Y is the first to be born with "technology in hand. Is there a possibility their upbringing in continued new technology or gadgets could lead to their guick boredom or distraction in the classroom? That is why they are so fast diagnosted with ADHD?

Cell phones in schools

I have seen both sides of this argument. I know a teacher that allows his students to use their cell phones for research, sending in homework, and even completing internet based quizzes. My experience has been that although there may be some legitimate uses of cell phones at school, the students lack the maturity to stay off of the social networks, face book, u-tube, games or all the other time wasters to be deemed as an effective tool. Ultimately, it will become just another distraction to the student and a disciplinary issue for the teacher to deal with.

Classroom Technology

Gen Y students really get into technology imbedded in the classroom. At my last school we had Smart Boards with full internet access. The entire world of information is only a click away. The problem with Gen Y students is that they sometime have a hard time separating facts and fiction on the web.

students with disabilities ED 201

I have students with all types of disabilities. I find just learning a little about each one and what they need by taking them aside from the rest of the class and out of the view of the class and discussing it helps. Sometimes they are too embarrassed to talk about what they need and would fail before asking. If I see a student struggling, I usually talk to them on a break during class with no one around or after class and ask them if there is anything that we can do together to make their learning experience a… >>>

Teaching ADA students

Being a ADA instructor I realize the problems handicap people have. This program widened my prospecive to other forms of handicap situations. I have dealt with hearing impaired, using signing, wheelchair users. Those that I worked with did not believe they were handicapped. Yes some accomadation were need, but their drive and determination made the teaching easy.

Gen Y

I have two daughters 11 and 15, I am amazed at thier level of knowledge about technology and how to use it.

Setting Technology Policies

At our school, all syllabi specify no cell phone use during class. Now, as we are a culinary school-this makes sense. Even though I don't teach in a culinary lab, but in an academic class I follow the policy carefully. I tell students I expect (and enforce) them NOT to be on their cell phones (no texting, game playing, etc). They can use them during the break, etc. Yes, they like to be connected. I would like to wear my pajamas to school....but being an adult requires you to adjust. I get this generation is "connected" through their technology, but… >>>

Technology and Plagiarism

I was surprised that this course didn't spend more time addressing technology and plagiarism. Anyone who has been in a school in the last 10 years knows this is a very serious problem for all instructors, at all levels. I was wondering how other instructors have addressed this issue as I am always looking for new strategies. Two things I depend on to reduce plagiarism are homework assignments that are open-ended questions that demand critical thinking by applying knowledge and constantly changing quizzes, tests. It's more work. I feel a lot of teachers don't call students on plagiarism, though they… >>>

Hand held devices

Last week I chalanged my class to leave all there hand help devices with me for the enter day. This was for 6.5 hours. They took me up on the challange. After 4 hours some were haveing a very hard time not being able to look at there phone. With 20 min left it was even harder for them. But they made it all 6.5 hours. From this I can see from this they love to use there hand held devices and this can help in there learning experance.

The Google problem

To what degree do you think Gen Y students see less of a need to "know" things given the almost immediate access to information they have grown up with and expect? Many older cohorts would need to access a library or encyclopedia to get information about something they don't know. There was more of a necessity to have the facts in our heads. Has this declined with Gen Y?

Tensions between cohorts...

I often have students from three generational cohorts in the same class. The Gen Y's and Boomers often clash in learning styles and even avoid each other in group activities. What are the best ways for an instructor to bridge these tensions?

Diversity

Good to see the discussion of diversity among parents (such as, a child being born to an unwed mother or a middle-aged woman who delayed having a child in favor of building a career).

Single parents

The material presented is not only excellent for educators but can also be a great resource for international students. They would gain a better understanding of generational differences in the United States which could be quite different from those in their country of origin. Additionally, although many factors pertaining to the four generations have been presented there doesn't seem to be any discussion of the shift in the United States to single parent households.

Assessment by contract

This process, assessment by contract will drive the desire to be inclusive in the training for the grade and general knowledge/practical application. Tools of this nature create a competitive envirionment. Competative learning... what a great idea.

Technlogy

It is incrediable, the use of technology today and I do beleive that there are practical uses in today's classroom. Some of the cautions should be carefully considered as if not, these devices can cause major overlap from professinal to social communication.

Learning Styles

In consideration of the different learning styles I feel that it is extremely important to use training delivered with each learning style so you reach out to all students.

Generations

It's amazing to connect these individuals to the ir surroundings. Their manerisms are distintively connected to their upbringing and deviation from this seams rare.

Trying to find myself in this.

Since I was born in 1980, I'd be considered a Gen X-er, though I feel I could easily fit into Gen Y. Are there sub groups of generations that don't have such a broad date range?