Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students with disabilities

At our school students with disabilities have been very successful. We treat them with respect, provide the necessary modifications, and provide lots of support.

Scott I toldly agree. The more support we give them the better they do.

Scott,
Can't ask for more than that, huh?!? GRIN

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I love to see people with disabilities have the same chance at a valued education which MMI gives them all the support they need to suceed.

David,
Can't ask for more than that, can we?! GRIN

Dr. Jane Jarrow

It is very important to be able to identify student disabilities so we can teach to there strong points that also helps there frustration levels down which will give them a positive experience learning new things with an I CAN attitude

Michael,
It sounds as though you are a dedicated teacher who tries to seek out the "strong points" for all of your learners. That makes you the ideal teacher for a student with a disability, since you already have the mindset that suggests that all students HAVE strong points (something that is not always assumed for students with disabilities). It is always best to work with what the student has, rather than focusing on what they are missing!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Teaching is a career I chose because of the happyness I feel when students perceive and understand the information I am delivering. Students that have disabilities are no differant. They are treated the same as other students. I will help them to the best of my ability by: spending additionl time, explaining in a differant mannor, giving more examples, etc. Bound by the law, the accomodation granted by my institution, and my institution cirriculum. I like what I do and it is not my right to determine if that student - disability or not - will "make it" in the field in which I teach. That will be up to the individual. My responsibility is to deliver the information to the student the best possible way I can, in a way he or she can understand. In my opinnion, an accomodation for a disability is not a crutch or a head start, but an attempt to "level the playing field" for that student who lives in a world that measures success by grades and acedemic achievement.

Scott,
Whenever I hear this kind of response from a dedicated teacher like you, I can't help hoping that you are able to share both your enthusiasm and perspective within the institution. Not only would your enthusiasm be infectious, but I would love to see more faculty become involved in celebrating potential instead of focusing on limitations.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment