Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Determination over disability

Many disabled students I have worked with show high levels of determination. They gain the respect of their peers and staff alike through their dedication and hard work. I have witnessed fellow students are comfortable and work with disabled students easily. It's hard not to admire a hard worker.

Frank,
I couldn't have said it better. The trick is for students with disabilities to be treated with respect by teachers, so that they can earn the respect of others.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I have also worked with disabled students and they try harder and do better than a lot of students without disabilities. They are very focused and get my respect right of the bat.

Larry,
Like every other population, students with disabilities come in all shapes and sizes and degrees of motivation. But so long as we keep in mind that the students -- regardless of disability -- have potential, we can find a way to help bring out that potential, to everyone's benefit.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I try to recognize students with dyslexia in a discrete way so I can offer help during lessons and tests. I offer words with similar meanings in order to explain a difficult word, especially if the concept it describes is difficult. I offer to re-word test questions for all students during a test so no one person feels singled out. My tests have no time limits so no one feels rushed.

David,
You have just described a great strategy for working with ALL students in a way that particularly benefits students with disabilities. And I think you just defined yourself as an EXCELLENT, student-based instructor!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment