Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

hearing impaired student

Recently I was honored to have a student that was hearing impaired in one of my class-rooms. I made sure I spoke slowly and directly to him so that he could read my lips during lecture. I found out that where he struggled with the interpetures that were assigned to him. I found that they were translateing everything that was said in the class-room sometimes confusing him. Once I found that out we would daily reveiw his notes and make corrections which led him to get an A in the class.

Tony,
It sounds like the student -- and you! -- had a positive experience, and that is great. But make no mistake, it is the responsibility of the interpreters to translate EVERYTHING that is said in the classroom. They are not supposed to "filter" information and pass along only what they understand to be important. Sorting that out is the responsibility of the student. Sounds like you were willing to help him with that -- and that's terrific.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I also had the honor to have a student that was deaf. I teach welding, were sound is the key,
we over came this by using feeling (vibration)

clive,
Yes, those of us who are used to doing things the same way they have always been done sometimes can't imagine how it could be done differently. Then we meet someone like your student who remind us that the outcome, not the process, is what is important. Sometimes accommodation is needed. Sometimes it is simply a function of finding an effective "work-around"!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Like Clive I had the same student in my class. I found myself talking slower so thst the interpetures could keep up without confussion.
I had one advantage, my daughter is majoring in college in sign language to become a hearing impaired interpeture. She's taught me the basics on how to sign. You could sense the comfort level rise in the student when I started talking to them in sign language.

Kevin,
I am sure it was very comforting to the student, not just that you knew some sign language, but that this told him you had some understanding of his struggles. Great strategy!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I find myself using more hand gestures and demonstrations when I help this student.

Kevin,
All of which is likely helpful. It gives context to your words that might otherwise be missing.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I have had the honor of working with many hearing impaired students. (culinary arts). When they enroll, they seem to enroll them in my classes. I have a good repor with the ASL agency in town now, so I work with the interrepters to come up with words and phrases to translate to the student. We also were able to come up with "new signs" to prevent them from having to spell out new words in their vocabulary.
I also found that by making time to spend with the student and interrepter alone before/afterclass, we could get all the hiccups covered.
Once you learn "their system", teaching in a different format to meet their needs is no big deal!

Jennifer,
What a testimony to your flexibility, as well as their talents! You ought to think about putting together an online lexicon of signs you have found useful in a culinary arts curriculum. I wonder if your professional association wouldn't be interested in housing such a resource on their website!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment