Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Treating all students the same

I have had a student who was hard of hearing, and had interpreters in class helping him. I treated him like every other student i had in class and didnt cut any corners with him. When he didnt understand me i had help but for the most part as long as i took it slow when i explained stuff to him on a one on one situation. After my class was over he thanked me for treating him the same as everyone else but helping him when needed.

Jason,
That's what it is all about -- recognizing that students with disabilities are more LIKE every other student you see than they are different. I have no doubt that this student recognized and appreciated the fact that you treated him as you did every other student, with respect for his potential.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I have had deaf students in my classroom. They have two interperators assist them. I was told by the interperators not to treat them any different then the other students. They just asked that when I talk to be facing them. They turned out to be my better students. They thanked me for treating them on the same level as the rest of the students.

I have had the same incident in my classroom, and maintaining a steady pass and refecting back on difficult subject matters, helped the student feel egual in the class.

The thing that I am always impressed with is the only frustrations that arise out of the entire classroom, are felt by the student with disabilities when he/she is treated any different. The atmosphere is always comfortable and classmates always accommodate these individuals. More often then not I have had students with disabilities that have adapted so quickly that any variance to my normal teaching approach causes more harm then good. I have always found that the individual will always step forth for special assistance if need be.

I have had a hearing impaired student in my class and treated him no differently than the other students. The hardest thing for me was making sure that I was looking at him while lecturing and making sure he could see and understand the demonstrations we do in lab. He also had sign language interpreters in class but sometimes they got behind in the lecture so I had to make sure I slowed down during lectures and especially during lab demos. Other than that there was no disruption to class or lab.

Scott,
That's what it is all about -- recognizing that students with disabilities are more LIKE other students than they are different, and finding ways to provide full access. Success is up to them, and it sounds as though your deaf students found it!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Kelvin,
It is always a feather in the cap of the instructor who can help students focus on the Abilities instead of their DISabilities. If we keep in mind that all students have the same potential, just different challenges, it is easier to remember and support their full participation.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Christopher,
That is a wonderfully health attitude to take, Christopher, and I am sure it helps your students, as well. The key is often to get the students to come forward (as you suggest) because they feel "safe" in doing so. That means having an instructor who is open and supportive!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Michael,
And I'll bet that slowing down helped some of the other students in class, too. That's one of the happy side effects of many academic accommodations. The same actions that are NECESSARY for students with disabilities are also HELPFUL for others. It is always nice to hear from instructors who have had a positive experience with students with disabilities -- they spread the word much faster than I can! GRIN

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I have found that most of the hesitation of opening up to a person with disabilities is from fear that you may somehow embarrass the individual. It takes a little longer to really get to know their personality. When dealing with a deaf student, the interpreter’s personality plays a big part in the personal connection with the student. In my experience both the interpreter and the deaf student were very light hearted and humorous. The student became just another one of the guys and most of his classmates started learning sign language so that they could communicate with him without the use of an interpreter. I recall a time that I had to ask them to "quit talking" (signing) during a lecture.

Many disabled students I have worked with show high levels of determination. They gain the respect of their peers and staff alike through their dedication and hard work. I have witnessed the same thing where fellow students are comfortable and work with disabled students easily. It's hard not to admire a hard worker.

Scott,
One of the first lessons we generally teach to folks when it comes to disability awareness is that "everyone cringes the first time they say, 'good to see you' to a blind person. But you don't need to worry. They already knew they were blind!" You are right. OUR discomfort is never a legitimate reason for keeping people with disabilities at arms length -- or keeping them down! It is very astute of you to recognize that the interpreter often plays a role in how a deaf student is perceived. It would be interesting to know, though, whether the interpreter is ALWAYS that light-hearted and humorous or whether the interpreter was that way because that is how the deaf student was (and the interpreter would assume a different persona with a deaf individual who was more sedate). THAT would be the mark of a truly exceptional interpreter (and I have met quite a few in my time!)

Dr. Jane Jarrow

You underline the basic theme of this class, Rick. Students with disabilities are more LIKE every other student than they are different." When students are treated with respect and dignity, have the same options, and have an opportunity to make the same choices (and, yes, even the same mistakes!), others see them as competent and capable individuals and treat them as such.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

i also have had a few students with a hearing and other disabillities.but to me it seems that the hearing impaired students might take a little more planning on my part to ensure that they understand the lessons. in a technical school the interputers might not know how to trsnslate some of the information the way it needs to be explained, in that case i will spend more time helping the students review their notes, if their is not enough time in the class, i will let them know that i am available after class if they would like additional help. i make this offer to all my student reguardless of weather or not they have a dissabilitie.

Roger,
You make a good point. Sign language interpreters (and the deaf students they serve) are always at a disadvantage as the classes get more advanced or specialized, because the interpreter sometimes struggles to understand the information so they can convey it adequately. I think it is great that you take a little extra time to make sure such students are getting all the info they need. BUT... based on what you have said, you are still treating all students the same, because you would offer that same extra time and attention to any student who needed it! The difference here may be the REASON they need the extra help, not the impact on your willingness to provide it.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I found that when working with students with this that very little extra effort was needed to keep them included in the class and lecture. Some small changes in the way I presented my lecture to help them better see what was going on and some simple follow up with the student made a big difference. I also knew a very little bit of sign language from teaching my kids when they were very young to help them comunicate before they could talk, and tried to incoperate it when I could. I could see the appreciation on the students face when I would try to use it even if it was on a few basic signs.

Paul,
I once heard a speaker respond to a question as to what specific techniques could be used to improve outreach to the population under discussion. His response was, "there IS no technique beyond the attitude." You clearly have the attitude! I am sure your students appreciate both your efforts and your openness.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I have also had this student and the "signers" were excellent They made sure to keep the student fully informed of exactly what was being said and explained

Scott,
I am always fascinated to see really good sign language interpreters at work. It is wonderful to see them interpret intent, and emphasis, and enthusiasm and (if necessary) confusion, along with just the words. I always feel it is treat to watch these folks at work! (By the way, an old adage maintains that interpreters are only distracting to the REST of the class if the lecturer is boring. If the lecturer is boring, the hearing students watch the interpreter, and the deaf student falls asleep! GRIN)

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment