Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Making Adjustments

I have been teaching at a technical school for the last seven years and during that time I have worked with numerous students with disabilities and accommodation plans made for each student, which is within our preview as a technical school, we do make slight modifications to the curriculum but we do not change the outcome or expectations for the students.

When I do make modifications for accommodations I have found that the rest of the students work well with the changes too, not just students with disabilities, it also gives us instructors challenges to change the way we deliver our day to day instruction/classes so everyone learns together for a more productive group and better outcomes overall.

Billy,
You have hit on one of the little secrets that folks in disability services have known for a long time. Some of the things that are NECESSARY to do for a student with a disability (as an accommodation) are also good teaching practice, and the strategies work well for all students. Bravo!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

The school that I work at has a variety of accommodations for students with disablilities. Some are extra time to complete lab assignments and test. Some may have the exam read to them. We also have alot of freedom to adjust our lecture time and add visual aids and do hands on demonstrations to help student with special needs. This does not hinder or take away anything from the other students.

Bruce,
You re exactly right. Providing accommodations as needed for students with disabilities takes away nothing from the quality of educational offerings to every other student. It sounds like someone at your institution has a good grasp on what can and should be done. I hope you make the most of their expertise.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I've had students in my class with accommodations, that have excelled more than students without accommodations!

I've had students in my class with accommodations, that have excelled more than students without accommodations!

Jay,
That is, of course, the whole point of this. Allowing students with disabilities to meet their full potential. There are too many folks who somehow assume that a student who need accommodations must be a less capable student... but that simply isn't true.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I agree with our school policies and take some extra time with our students makes the student aware of what he or she needs to do when the student gets in the field.

And I'll bet you do that with ALL the students in your classes, Joseph, not just the students with disabilities. THAT is what "equal access" is all about... providing the same opportunities, services, and (in this case) support to all students, regardless of disability.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I also have had students with accommodations who have been very successful and others with accommodations who have not. It all boils down to their desire to succeed not the fact we give them an accommodation.

Scott,
Yes... and no. Certainly, their success is dependent on their personal skills and motivation. That is as it should be, because that is true for ALL students. But don't discount the role that making reasonable accommodations can play in ALLOWING students with disabilities to earn that success. Accommodations don't assure success, nor do they intend to. The goal is to assure the CHANCE to succeed is equally presented. Without the accommodation, that might not be the case.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Most of the disabilities I have encountered centered around attention deficit disorder. I found success in first identifying the student and in a subtle way make the necessary adjustments. It could be moving them closer to the front of the room or calling on them more frequently. The increase involvement tends to make them concentrate more on the learning and less on distractions.

Martin,
It sounds as though you have found some effective strategies, as an instructor, to manipulate the classroom environment in a positive way that might help any student, but is particularly effective for those with ADHD. That's great. Now let me offer one "mindset" comment (under the heading of "for what it is worth"). You haven't encountered disabilities -- you have encountered STUDENTS who have disabilities. Thinking and using "people-first" language can sometimes reinforce the understanding that disability is a description, not the central focus.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Ive notice that students in my classes with accommodations seem to try hard for there goals

Kelly,
Isn't that true of all students? That they try hard? (Or, at least, we hope they do!) The fact that the student is receiving accommodations does not make him/her any less of a student. GRIN

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I work at a culinary school and I have had many Deaf students come through the program. I need to make the adjustment that he is just another student. He will let me know what he needs through his interperter. Being a production kitchen I will have to make adjustments in talking with him.

Dianne,
Generally speaking, the biggest change in behavior is that you need to make sure the student is looking at you when you are giving directions. That is potentially an inconvenience, but it presents neither danger nor change in expectations. The proof will be in the pudding (a little culinary word play there! GRIN).

Dr. Jane Jarrow

we also will help students, it all depends on the needs of the individuals.

Darren,
That is as it should be -- "each according to his own" -- in this case, according to his/her own need.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I had to move a student upon his request off of the front row of the class to mid-way back, also out of view from people passing in the hallway. His grades and participation improved. Based on information from my wife who teaches elementary children with special needs he possibly had some form of Autism.

Sign In to comment