Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

using iphones,

I have asked my Y students to do researches on their Iphone. Some will follow the instructions very well, others started checking their e-mails. We need to keep control on all times.

I have the same problem with my students and their smart phones. Most of the students respect the rules, but others abuse the use of their phones and spend their class time on Facebook.

Since I teach evening classes any chance the student get to sneak a look on a I-phone they will. Once on the phone no one can see where the student is going. Several times I have asked for a update on the research and gotten the crazyist looks "like you really expected me to waste my time looking that up."
I request all phones to be on top of the desk in plain sight,so I can have their attention. The 1st week of class, they start to grab it evertime it flashes & soon learn to let it go to v-mail.
A very early excerize I give my students is to dramatize to the class how a instructor would look if the instructor was on their phone all the time. Sure it is funny to watch them but they do get the message that they have to pay attention if they want to pass.

Cleo,
yes, I'm not sure they always realize how it feels to not have someone's attention.

Dr. Ryan Meers

It's funny on how side tracked we can get when we have access to the web. I can attest to this and I am sure many will also.
Here is an demonstration I would like you to try.
Next time you visit YOUTUBE.COM to view a video, take notice of what was the first video then take note on the last video you view.
It is amazing how the internet can side track us to areas we never intended to go. Yes keeping in check with phone research is a must.

Kenny,
I completely agree, it so easy to get distracted. If we allow this kind of searching we must be aware of these issues & deal with them accordingly.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Seems like every time I give an assignment thta has to be done on computor my students always end up on facebook. I do not like standing over them. Maybe I should tkae points away from the assignment if they get on facebook???

Mokii,

I think this may be the best idea; developing a firm policy on this will probably help you & the students.

Dr. Ryan Meers

This is a huge challenge to limit in scope as to what the students will search; however, my school does an effective job at limiting what a student can search.

I think that is just the temptation. I often go on my home computer and do research or even do online professional development, and I often catch myself checking facebook and email. I definitely think a specific time frame would be necessary.

James,
I agree with you. We need to realize that the temptation to "waste time" is too strong for us as well as for the students.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Unfortunately, as much as we say, please only do research on your phone while you're in the classroom, they will always be checking their email. It does feel at times as though you're talking to a wall because you know they're on FB or email or whatever. Trying to get them to get off when they need their computer for the LMS is very difficult.

Jodi,
that is why I personally do not allow cell phones at all in my classes. The only time is if I'm doing a very specific activity utilizing the tool; other than that they are away.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Well, I tried this in my class and it backfired big time. A student asked me a fairly obscure question. Typically, I would say "I don't know, I'll look it up and get back to you." Instead, because of this course, I said, "I don't know. Does anybody have a smartphone? We can look it up and find out right now."

Huge Mistake.

I got comments on my student surveys -- "Why are we paying for this class if the instructor doesn't know the answers and tells us to look it up on our phones?" Granted, these few students had an ax to grind, but I gave them the ax! I will NEVER do this again in class. I never got comments like this when I went old school ("I'll look it up.")

For this school, using smartphones in the classroom does not work.

I would like to see the course text ammended with a caveat that technology in the classroom might be a minefield, and it has to be used with extreme caution, only after the class has been evaluated.

Julia,
I'm sorry this technique did not work for you. I would definitely encourage any instructor to make sure that he/she is aware of the make-up of the students & the course before throwing this out there. I would also encourage strategic use of this technique & not allow it to become a regular tactic. Unfortunately sounds like (as you stated) you had some students who were looking to criticize your effective instruction regardless of what you did.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Good luck monitoring their cell phone usage. They should be doing research or making calculations, but are talking to their friends. I don't know how to do that extensive policing. Maybe we cn't expect to do it-- there will always be students who don't do what is best. This is just one more high tech way to get out of learning.Some will benefit,others will not.

Sign In to comment