Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Gen Yers and Critical Thinking Skills

I find it very interesting that the Generation Y Learner needs development in the critical thinking skills. This generation relies so heavily on technology to answer their questions, which does not develop their ability to assess situation with their own experiences.

Gen y vs Boomers

I teach at an Technical school and have broad range of students from many parts of the country. I find I dificult durring a lecture part of instuctoin to keep the attention of all the students. With Gen Y's texting and viewing. to boomers who apprieciat the excellerated learning style I like to teach with. There are policies in place to impower me to tell those students to put away there phones. But they alway find there way back out. I find it distracting as a speaker.

Students with disabilities

I agree with this, disabled students do not like to be singled out, They sometimes need an accomodation just to make it an even playing field. I have found that in most cases these students try a little harder because they have the disability. The result is that in a lot of cases they become some of the better students we have.

ADHD or learning problems used as a crutch

I have had students in the past who to me are useing learning disabilty as a crutch. The accommodation plan says to provide lecture notes and read the test to them. When the power point has a chart in it and there workbook requires them to fill in a blank chart, I must fill it in for them. But when the student must retreive answers from a technical manual and fill in the blank on a worksheet they can do it. The student can read and retreive information during class with no problems, but at test time they suddlenly cannot… >>>

getting information to easy

i find student now can get the answers to questiones to fast and without working for it. they don't hold onto the answer if they can just goole it and move on. i would sit for hours trying to fine a answer and when i did find it a i stored it in my brain for as long as possible

ADHD

Attention defecit dissorder is a dissability that interupts the learning process. I consider this very similar to watching a movie and someone changes the channel by remote. It is very dissruptive and annoying for the ADHD individual. Patience is the needed response as well as appropriate accomidations for the ADHD individual...

iPads/tablets in the classroom

I believe that iPads/tablets are more useful and less disruptive in the classroom, and the display size is more user-friendly than that of a smartphone. Would it not make sense to replace current laptop programs with iPads, also from a cost perspective?

Making Adjustments

I have been teaching at a technical school for the last seven years and during that time I have worked with numerous students with disabilities and accommodation plans made for each student, which is within our preview as a technical school, we do make slight modifications to the curriculum but we do not change the outcome or expectations for the students. When I do make modifications for accommodations I have found that the rest of the students work well with the changes too, not just students with disabilities, it also gives us instructors challenges to change the way we deliver… >>>

Determination over disability

Many disabled students I have worked with show high levels of determination. They gain the respect of their peers and staff alike through their dedication and hard work. I have witnessed fellow students are comfortable and work with disabled students easily. It's hard not to admire a hard worker.

Students with disabilities

At our school students with disabilities have been very successful. We treat them with respect, provide the necessary modifications, and provide lots of support.

students with disabilities

I remember when I was in school years ago. All students were treated the same, disabilities discussed here were not really recognised back then. Having the ability to receive training on this topic greatly improves the facilitators ability to recognise issues earlier on to get them assistance as soon as possible. This will give students with disabilities greater success in their training and their future imployment.

disabilities, a challenge to the facilitator

It is very important to understand the issues some students may have concerning there disabilities. Being able to accomidate there shortfallings may help make them become more successful in the career path in which they are taking.

PTSD as a Psychological Disability

One of the courses I instruct, creates lots of "banging" noises, causing some students to react violently.While most students make me aware up front,those that don't can cause haveoc with the rest of the class.

hearing impaired student

Recently I was honored to have a student that was hearing impaired in one of my class-rooms. I made sure I spoke slowly and directly to him so that he could read my lips during lecture. I found out that where he struggled with the interpetures that were assigned to him. I found that they were translateing everything that was said in the class-room sometimes confusing him. Once I found that out we would daily reveiw his notes and make corrections which led him to get an A in the class.

Students With disbilities

In my 20 years at this institution I have taught students with learning and physical disabilities. We have highly trained personel that design their accomodations. For the most part the statement "they are not as different as they are the same as other students is very true. They are here for the same reasons as most of our students,too learn. If someone is willing to learn, I feel it is an instructors job to teach them.All students need a little extra attention from time to time depending on their learning abilities and style of learning. Generally I treat them equally,… >>>

Learning Disabilities

Recognize what the disability is and treat the student in a way that he or she can better understand the curriculum

Treating all students the same

I have had a student who was hard of hearing, and had interpreters in class helping him. I treated him like every other student i had in class and didnt cut any corners with him. When he didnt understand me i had help but for the most part as long as i took it slow when i explained stuff to him on a one on one situation. After my class was over he thanked me for treating him the same as everyone else but helping him when needed.

Technology in lab environment

I really enjoyed ready this particular module relating to the Y generation students. I have noticed in the last few years that it has become harder to manage the technology in the lab environment. We have rules about the usage of technology while we are working in lab, but it has become hareder to mange due to the increasing amount of technology that is available. I would prefer for the students to not use their cell phone for anything during lab, but again, when they are doing certain work i would rather them take out their phone and use it… >>>

Taking Ownership

One of the challenges with today's students is to get them to take ownership in their education. We assign tasks with deadlines but they always seem to want to push it to the limit. Commonly asked questions are," What do I need to do to get a 70". Are they really OK with mediocrity?? By putting them on a "Performance Contract", does this really make them take ownership, or does it give them just enough to push just a little harder and not excell?

strategies to teach gen y's

Engaging the students on a very earlier assigment, asking the students to use their Iphones and researching different materials, will help keep the y's engaged during lecture....