Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Taking Ownership

One of the challenges with today's students is to get them to take ownership in their education. We assign tasks with deadlines but they always seem to want to push it to the limit. Commonly asked questions are," What do I need to do to get a 70". Are they really OK with mediocrity?? By putting them on a "Performance Contract", does this really make them take ownership, or does it give them just enough to push just a little harder and not excell?

Michael,
I guess to me the performance contract is getting them to take ownership & hopefully can be used to show them that if they don't perform, they will not get a passing or satisfactory grade. Then the ownership is on them because they knew what they had to do at the beginning.

Dr. Ryan Meers

It's funny that you mention the "Get a 70" question. I find that when the student is confronted with their possible grade near or at the end of the term, some Gen Y'ers will be happy with "average" while others want to do better. I always tell them "I do not make your grade, you do."

I thought that if we clearly lay out what is expected and what they have to do to learn and pass a class then they know what needs to be done. Ex. class participation, quizzes each chapter and test over particular chapters. When the percentage of each component is detailed, why is that not clear?

Robert,
I don't think anyone is arguing that is unclear. Rather, when you engage in a contract (basically requiring a signature) you then have a document that you can show them stating that they read & understood those expectations & requirements.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Dr. Meers, Our school already uses and requires that each student sign a syllabus acknowledgement form after we have gone over the syllabus which contains the expectations, requirements and grading schedule. Maybe this is what is being called a contract. I just don't see a separate document in addition to the one we have being necessary.

I agree, taking ownership seems to be lacking in gen Y, they want everything handed to them and expect an A for doing nothing to earn it, and the excuses for the lack of work are getting more ridiculous day by day...

Robert,
yes, that is what is considered a contract. Others may have more or less info depending on what they wish, but in general this is referring to the syllabus concept.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Robert,
yes, that is what is considered a contract. Others may have more or less info depending on what they wish, but in general this is referring to the syllabus concept.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Students dont want anything to do with owner ship... unless you have a forener then they do.

This is probably my biggest pet peave as an instructor. I am seeing way to many students looking for a 70% just to get by. I like the idea of incorporating something to make themselves more aware that with the economy and job market we have today, just getting by won't cut it. If we can make them realize as the class begins that they MUST do there very best, or they could be in for a very difficult life ahead. I like the idea of having them do a first day written explanation of their goals for the class, as well as their future. By having it in writing, it will hopefully make themselves more aware of what they need to accomplish.

We like to provide rubrics with tasks so the students have an expectation of performance levels. This provides clear instructions on what is an 'adequate' job, a 'good' job and an 'excellent' job. It helps them become familiar with the concept of job performance.

Thomas,
yes & one thing we try to emphasize is "make yourself valuable." Too many think with the degree/certificate I'm valuable. But in this economy, there are many folks who are equally credentialed. What makes you stand out? And once you have the job, are you making yourself so valuable that they wouldn't dream of laying you off?

Dr. Ryan Meers

Amy,
I personally love rubrics & have found a great deal of value in them as it removes the appearance of subjectivity.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I teach cosmetology and unfortunately with students in this field I find they don't really care much about grades. As long as thy are passing they could care less if it is "just enough". The sad thing is is that employers in this field don't really care if a student got decent grades either. How do you stress the importance of trying to do your best when all thy need to do in order to get a job is mediocracy?

How about instead of a contract creating a tiered system that rewards based on performance? In a vocational setting, we can reward with dress code, small prizes, etc.. This may make students more motivated to not accept average grades.

I think those students who wish to excell will do so anyway. A performance contract may push them to try just a little harder but in the process they may find them selves more invested in their own learning.

Warren,
yes, this is a way to motivate them. And hopefully those students who are less motivated will also find something to inspire them as well.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Warren,
yes, this is a way to motivate them. And hopefully those students who are less motivated will also find something to inspire them as well.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Absolutely! Keeping that contract on file and available to show to the student should they fail to hold up their end of the bargain after they signed their name to the agreement curtails any argument over what was expected of them. In addition, I make copies of the signed agreements and return them to the individual students so they can refer to it as they see fit.

Eliminating any confusion as to what is required of the students makes things go much more smoothly. It gives them a target to shoot for rather than to aimlessly hope they are doing just enough.

Sign In to comment