Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Engaging Students

Mixing generations in groups to learn and help each other see differnet views can be a life learning lessons.

Engaging Students

Using hand held items is good, just keeping them focused on what is being taught, not going onto sights not class related.

Teachers BB and Gen X

How to best communicate and work togather when Instrutors are from different Generations: How to best organize your classrooms?

PERFORMANCE CONTRACTS

belive that they can help, although many schools, such as out, have a specified curriculum, in which the instructor does not create. COudl we do this? Also, if the advantage is only 1 point, then it may not excite the students. Another incentive (higher points) would be better.

TO CONNECT OR NOT TO CONNECT....

Generation "Y" may be too involved with the connectivity issue. If there was a cyber attack, we would all suffer with banks, ATMs, debut cards, etc. going down for a period of time. How would Generation "Y's" react though? Would Baby Boomers and Veterans know better how to react and survive, because they have lived without technology before? Does electronic connectiveness alter survival skills, because of dependence on the "device?" Hopefully, this scenario would not happen, but it is an interesting hypothetical one.

GEN "Y" VS. GEN "X" AND BOOMERS

Generation "Y's in a class of mixed generations tend to behave differently. Boomers and Gen "Xer's" tend to be more mature, as they are older, but they are also more accustomed to a school situation and what it means. Generation "Y',s" on the other hand, may not understand the rules of social and classroom behavior, and don't follow the protocol. While it is not the case today that the role of instructor follwo in the footsteps of the old headmaster from "Tom Brown's Schooldays" where they caned students for failing lessons, school, however changed, is still a structured environment that… >>>

GENERATION "Y" (or MILLENNIAL'S"

Generation "Y" have a hard time giving up their cell phones, iPads and laptops. It is almost an impossible task to get them to adhere to the rules. Because of their generational connectivity, I think that it would be a wonderful idea to explore some ways in which the cell phone could be integrated into the lesson plan. Computer and iPads are already in use; however, the instructor must ensure that each students is on task, and not on Facebook or email. Computer technology can be a terrific tool; however, it can also be a distraction. The "connectiveness" of this… >>>

student rage

most of the student that i have had that had a anger issue usally have trigger points tha if know about can be avoided or lessoned by cheking student attiude at the begining of class

Poverty as a Native Language

Although she has been criticized for her liberal use and interpretation of research, Ruby Payne made a strong case for people living in poverty having a language (and certainly a culture as included in this module) separate from mainstream or "Standard English." What are some examples of classroom practice(s) that address the language diversity represented in the language of those from lower socioeconomic circles?

Stigma of Disability and Psychological Disorders

Stigma comes in many shapes and sizes and is a very real part of psychological disorder or physical disability. This mark of shame is sometimes what stops a person who needs help to actively seek it, not to mention engage in a meaningful activity. Stigma is that negative perception that society holds of people who have a mental illness,physical limitation or learning disability. As an educator, I feel it is incredibly important that I do my part to “de-stigmatize” whenever I can by providing facts to my students. I teach psychology courses so it is relatively effortless to make this… >>>

Phone Usage

When I see a student on the phone I ask them to google something pertaining to the course material.

Make it work!

Name 2 ways you could start incorporating technology in your classroom? Here's mine 1)We break into teams for debates so each team creates a Facebook site so they can communicate outside of class. 2)Each student takes turns making notes on a computer of class interactions and activities and shares it on the site I can't wait to hear your ideas....

add

don't be to quick to judge students before you know the complete issue about your students.

The Right Answer

It does seem that to many people, the internet offers all the right answers. As a student once said in regard to responding to a thought provoking question, "That's why God invented google." Hhm ...

Using Digital Tech in Education

I have one thing to add as a discussion topic. Currently I ask students to complete an on-line assessment test in a required forum. I have been amazed at how many students have to email with some very basic questions. I have had to re-give out the course ID because students do not copy it down correctly in class or from the emails send to them. Or there are registration issues. Or even after being explained how to register and then take the quizzes step by step in class, students do not find the right quizzes, do not take the… >>>

Generation X as teacher

I am from Generation X and am now a teacher. Growing up I was the 'latch-key' kid, schooled in an 'open classroom' and many of the other educational styles of the 1970s. I have taught for the past 20 years and seen several generatons since me. It is interesting that the 'millennial' generation really does seem to be different in many ways. Here, I'll focus on expectations. The idea that everyone wins, everyone gets a trophy, everyone is 'great' and can do anything has really become part of their mind set. I don't know how many times in recent years… >>>

Boomers as Teachers

I tend to find myself reverting back to Boomer Style lectures when I am teaching new or more complicated material. I know I need to get a better understanding before I am in front of students, but time often does not allow. Any suggestions for opening up the class for more universal learning?

gen y students

some of the gen y students don't have a good learning envirment at home to develope the skills needed today.

new age technology

don't be intimidated by new electrionics

generation gaps

don,t let the age differance get between you and your students