Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

ADHD

Attention defecit dissorder is a dissability that interupts the learning process. I consider this very similar to watching a movie and someone changes the channel by remote. It is very dissruptive and annoying for the ADHD individual. Patience is the needed response as well as appropriate accomidations for the ADHD individual...

Robert,
That is a GREAT analogy. Having someone else control the remote when you are tying to focus on something, and having that someone shift the stimulus available to you is very much the situation for the ADHD student who is easily distracted by noises in the hall, the cough of the student in the row behind them, or the illustration in the book that they happen to glance at while turning pages to the appropriate place in the text book. GRIN

Dr. Jane Jarrow

That is a good analogy. I can relate, not because I have the problem but I take my movies very seriously. (LOL) I work in an automotive trade school where we have class and lab. I have great respect and patience for the individual that has ADHD or ADD. My problem is with the students (plural) that claim they have it, don’t have any documentation, never have been diagnosed, but insist they have certain learning needs. So, without an accommodation we are to treat all equally. How is one to respond when a student claims he has this? I have had students with accommodations because they were diagnosed with, and yet don’t take their medication, still expecting us to bend over backwards to fill their needs. These same individuals are being bombarded with phone calls, texts, handheld internet, and portable games and don’t have the sense or self-discipline to put it away when told to do so. I take my job very seriously and try to help everyone, following the guidelines set forth by law, the administration, and by the program. But we can’t just rearrange the learning environment just because a student says so. I’ve already been told to be careful how I respond or deal with students claiming something when the topic in general carries so much gravity with it. In the end run, if a student really has that much difficulty learning or just paying attention and focusing on the task at hand, one might wonder how effective or safe a mechanic he would be. (Think ABS, Airbag, or Brakes)

Thomas,
I am somewhat at a loss as to how to respond, Thomas. You have expressed some very real and legitimate frustrations, but it sounds as though you have let them lead you to some faulty conclusions. Students who claim to have ADD/ADHD but who provide no evidence of that to anyone? Those students do not have a disability under the law, UNLESS YOUR INSTITUTION doesn't ask for any documentation. This is an internal problem you are describing. The college should have some one or some office that is charged with supporting students with disabilities in receiving appropriate accommodations AND supporting faculty in knowing what accommodations to provide. If they don't, then I would urge you to speak to the powers-that-be about creating such a support position -- the students need it and the faculty are entitled to it! If there are students who have ADD/ADHD but choose not to take assigned meds, don't make the assumption they are not trying. There are LOTS of reasons why someone may choose to manage their symptomology in other ways. BUT... with or without medication, students who engage in behavior or activities (phone calls, texts, handhelds, games, etc.) that are unacceptable for nondisabled students should suffer the same sanctions. Making reasonable accommodations (and *reasonable* is all that is asked) is necessary and appropriate if justified by a disability-related need. It shouldn't be left to YOU to decide if that need exists. Others should be helping. BUT... to suggest that a student who is easily distracted by such disruptions is likely to then be understandably guilty of shoddy or lacksadaisical performance is an extension I am not ready to accept.

I hope you can find someone available to you within the college community who can help you sort all this out.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I agree with Thomas in so many ways, in many of my classes it seems students would like to have a handicap of some sort, usually one that is not seen or can be verified by untrained individuals. I however have worked personally with family members with the issues that so many would like for me to believe they have, and I can see right through their charade. There is a big push to be given everything without any work on the part of the learner, and it would seem that we are so attuned to accommodating those that have a disability that we overdo it, we don't seem to challenge them to learn, we just make it so easy to pass that they didn't really get anything out of the class. I'm sure that an accommodation is not intended to do that, and in no way am I trying to belittle those that need extra help, but we've also created an environment that makes being handicapped a fun thing. Having a handicap isn't fun...but for some, they think it's the way to skate through life on easy street.

Sign In to comment