Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning Disabilities

Recognize what the disability is and treat the student in a way that he or she can better understand the curriculum

Alcide,
I'm not sure I agree, Alcide... but I am not sure what I am disagreeing with! Are you suggesting that one should teach differently to students with disabilities? That sounds a little like special education than equal access. Maybe I have misunderstood. Can you clarify, please?

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Know what the students disabilities are,and try to accomidate for that...

Alcide,
I have the same problem with this response as the other -- it doesn't tell me anything about what you might do to help. Depending on the policies at your institution, you may not even KNOW what the student's disability is (they may not tell you). I'd like to hear you speak more to student needs, not labels.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Be sure to make eye contact with Deaf,or hard of hearing student not the interpreter,and use hand gestures.Have Magnifying glasses for sturents with vision problems,and have them sit in front of the classroom.

Alcide,
I'm sorry, Alcide, but you seem to be focusing on many of the wrong things -- perhaps for the wrong reasons! You are correct in suggesting that the instructor should speak to the Deaf student and not the interpreter, but using hand gestures is not the same thing as using sign language...and exaggerated hand gestures that make you feel as though you are being culturally sensitive to someone who uses sign language may, in fact, be confusing or amusing to the signer. (I remember someone who didn't know sign language telling my daughter that she should be "blind" and "white." What she MEANT was that my daughter should "watch" and "breathe"... but her gestures to emphasize were actually signs that had very different meanings!) As to the magnifying glass for a student with a vision impairment -- don't go there! It may be appropriate to provide your handouts in large print, but it is not appropriate to tell the student with a visual impairment that he/she should use some specific means to improve their vision. Nor is it appropriate to insist that students sit in a specific place in the room, any more than you would assign seats to any other student at the postsecondary level. If students with disabilities request your help in assuring them preferential seating, it is wholly appropriate facilitate that on their behalf. But be careful about taking that responsibility out of their hands.

I would like to see you offer some substantive comment regarding something your learned in this course.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Excellent course...Ready to apply the insight I got in this couse,in a classroom situation

I'm not sure what insights you have received. Can you offer a concrete example of something you will do differently because of what you have learned here?

Take into consideration what the disability is,and be observant when the individual needs assistance.

Growing up with dyslexia, Hyperactivities in the 1960 was very hard for me. My mother was told when I was in first grade that I was retarded and could not be taught. I find myself at an advantage when teaching students with what society calls “learning disabilities” And I call a blessing in disguise, once I figured out how to learn there was no stopping me.
I feel it is an instructor’s job to be aware of the symptoms and use different strategies with them. Most students need a little extra attention from time to time depending on their learning abilities and style of learning. I treat them equally, you should never focus on a students disabilities or act like they are "different just treat them as you would any other student and help them along if they need it.

Dominick,
That's an aspect of equal access we don't often note -- equal access to time and attention from the instructor. I am sure you students profit from your open attitude and response to their needs.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Students with disabilites will needs our help in every way,but the important things is to recognized and understand what those needs are. If a student tell you of his/her disabilities, you should get all the information you can about their required needs and help in every way.

Clive,
Agreed, Clive. In the same way you care about every student, and recognize that you can best support them by knowing more about their experience, skills, and challenges, so it is easier to provide the necessary support -- much less accommodation -- to a student with a disability if you understand their needs. The first source of that information is the student, but hopefully there will also be someone within the college structure who can give you insight into institutional resources and policies that will help you to help the student.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I would like some advice on how do I assist students that have dyslexia in the college setting. I am willing to learn more on teaching and working with other instructors so that the students are successful without being pointed out.

Denise,
This is a tough one to answer, Denise. I suppose the best advice I can give is to talk to the student directly, in a quiet and confidential setting, and ask what kind of difficulties the student is experiencing. Then trouble shoot WITH the student as to why that is a problem. That is going to be what helps you to know if there is something you can/should do differently, or if this is something that the student must work out for him/herself.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment