Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students With disbilities

In my 20 years at this institution I have taught students with learning and physical disabilities.
We have highly trained personel that design their accomodations. For the most part the statement "they are not as different as they are the same as other students is very true. They are here for the same reasons as most of our students,too learn. If someone is willing to learn, I feel it is an instructors job to teach them.All students need a little extra attention from time to time depending on their learning abilities and style of learning. Generally I treat them equally, you should never focus on a students disabilitie or act like they are "different just treat them as you would any other student and help them along if they need it.

James,
You said it all when you said, "All students need a little extra attention from time to time depending on their learning abilities and style of learning." Exactly! The individual attention you provide to a student with a disability may be of a different nature than it is for other students -- but that is because of the student's need. I am sure you make the same individualized adaptations for every student.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I agree with this, disabled students do not like to be singled out, They sometimes need an accomodation just to make it an even playing field. I have found that in most cases these students try a little harder because they have the disability. The result is that in a lot of cases they become some of the better students we have.

Donald,
I haven't met the students you have, and I certainly don't want to dissuade you from your positive approach. But let me pose a challenge to you. Do these students become some of your better students because they try a little hard because of their disability (as you suggest), or do they become some of your better students because they are bright and motivated and have the potential to be among your best students... oh! and they just happen to have a disability. Is the disability a factor in their success? Or is the disability irrelevant to their success? Just asking! GRIN

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I agree with what has been stated. However, the student that tries to see if they can function without letting you know they have a disability, then appeal after the fact is a challenge.

John,
You are right. It is a constant challenge. Disability service providers regularly remind students with disabilities that they have rights, but they ALSO have responsibilities. They are responsible for letting you know that they have a disability and asking for needed accommodation in a timely manner. As a faculty member you are neither expected to be clairvoyant (and GUESS that they need accommodation), nor are you generally required to provide accommodations after the fact. It is a hard lesson for a lot of students to learn -- but an important one for the future.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

i agreea also i have some students that try to take the course with out notifing me about a disability they have and trying to complete the tasks of the course and do well and some that notify me because they didnt do so well in a previous class when trying to complete tasks without notifing the instructor and need additional help in my class, but thats up to them and i help them when i know about a disibility

Yep! The law requires you to make appropriate accommodations. It does not require you to be a mind reader. The students must let you know (through whatever means is designated at your institution) that they have a disability and need accommodation. Only then are you responsible for implementing that support.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I very much agree as well. I work with students from many different backgrounds and those with disabilities do tend to try harder. I also found that they like to be treated the same as the other students and not defined by their disabilities. The reward for the student as well as the teacher is greater when this happens. I would only get involved if necessary, would not want the student to feel I did not think they could do it or at least attempt it.

Kristin,
You have described, in different words, one of the basic tenets of working with students with disabilities. They ARE "students" -- first and foremost. The fact that they have disabilities is a descriptor. It does not define them, and it need not limit them!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Along the same lines, I have had younger students, especially young men, who are unwilling to admit that they may have a learning dissability. They themselves seem to be aware of their own challenges and have stimatized themselves before ever looking into the possible cause of their difficulty. I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "I'm just bad at taking tests" or "I hate the classroom part of the this course". With a little time and effort on their part I could work with them in a different manner and help them to get so much more out of their education.

You are right, of course, David. There are many students with disabilities who enter the college setting determined to "make it on their own" and who do not ask for accommodations that they could receive -- and may very much need. A welcoming atmosphere and the understanding that they are respected for their potential (instead of discounted for their limitations) can go a long way toward helping such students more realistically deal with their situation.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

we have students come to us that have special needs, and we don't seem to have to many problems accomodating them. I especially like to work with people that have physical disabilities because it just seems like they give it everything they got to be successfull.

James,
It is always nice to hear that students with disabilities are experiencing success -- and blending right in! That is as it should be. GRIN

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I agree with Mr. Shaul, I have found that the students coming to our school with a disability of any type do not want any abnormal attention.
They want to be treated like the rest of the students as much as possible by the teachers and other students.

Gordon,
The intent -- and the strength -- of Section 504 and the ADA is to make it possible for students to both be treated, and to perform, like the rest of the students as much as possible. Some will be brilliant students. Some will be average. Some will struggle. But so long as they are part of that larger population of STUDENTS (who have the same variations!) it is all good!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment