Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

iPads/tablets in the classroom

I believe that iPads/tablets are more useful and less disruptive in the classroom, and the display size is more user-friendly than that of a smartphone. Would it not make sense to replace current laptop programs with iPads, also from a cost perspective?

Christian,
I know of several schools that are pushing in this direction currently & it wouldn't surprise me to see more & more of this.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I support the use of ipads in the classroom- they are an extremely useful tool.

Deborah,
I would agree & the wi-fi connections can be turned off or at least greatly controlled.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I think it really depends on the course being taught. Anything requiring actual typing would be best done on a laptop. I wish more courses, including business and communications courses, would incorporate more traditional writing lessons as I see an inability to write clearly as being a distinct disadvantage of many Gen Y'ers I work with. Tablets are not as good a tool for this work as the keyboard is small and limited and encourages "text-speak," which looks terribly sloppy and unprofessional for most employers. Laptops really are superior for this situation.

Kristen,
laptops are definitely easier and I think much of it comes down to the expectations of the instructor; will you allow the text speak to pass?

Dr. Ryan Meers

I have an ipad and i love it . Use it more than my laptop or my PDA.LArge enough for me to see and small enough to be portable.....

That would be great as long as all the product is readily accessible to everyone, and not just to those who can afford them.

The problem with IPads in the classrooom is that the students who are not interested in participating, now have a tool to help them do so. I do think they are handy for class coursework.

I think ipads are inevitable and we can embrace them or fight them. It would be great if teaches have a master screen they can monitor student activites at any time.

I find a lot of our younger students are not as technology savvy as one would assume even though they are generation y, due to the high cost of these products.

Tania,

yes, there can definitely be a gap depending on the economic class; not to mention many seem to know how to use basic functions, but not the real value yet.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment