Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

PTSD as a Psychological Disability

One of the courses I instruct, creates lots of "banging" noises, causing some students to react violently.While most students make me aware up front,those that don't can cause haveoc with the rest of the class.

Jesse,
I can see where this might cause some awkward moments both for the students AND for the rest of the class. It's an interesting dilemma. I am not sure what to suggest, other than to remind the class regularly that the possibility exists for sudden, loud noises and if that is going to be a problem, students should some to discuss this with you.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

With a post 9/11 military I was surprised to not see any information on PTSD. In career colleges and trade schools we are seeing more and more prior military going to school. It would be great to see more on this topic! I feel that the information in the course was a great help in spotting the difficulties that people can have. I feel the course could have been made into modules like the other courses on here and go into greater depth on the verious conditions. and perhaps so guidance on how to as a instructor make sure that we are able to "reach" them without singling them out.

Robert,
You are right, Robert. While PTSD fits into the "psychological disability" category, there is nothing specific to the issues of disabled veterans included here. The next time we have a chance to revise the course, I think that will make a great addition. I'll put it on the list! Thanks for the suggestion.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I have to agree that students who suffer from PTSD can pose some of the greatest challenges in the classroom. This is something that doesn't recieve enough attention compared to ADHD and such. Good call Jesse.

Manuel,
You are right. The plight of our "wounded warriors" - and the impact of their service on their readjustment and (especially) their educational experience are becoming a major focus of a number of organizations. Let's hope they find some good ideas for providing a support system.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I have a student for the last two quarters that believes that he has PTSD, but has had difficulty receiving the documentation needed to receive accommodations. He had admitted to me that he regularly experiences insomnia and otherwise has trouble focusing in class.

I allow him to take extra time for exams and to redo assignments in which he has totally misinterpreted the directives. He has sought tutors and I have allowed him to retake online quizzes so he would not receive a grade of zero.

Any advice on continue working with this student?

Sign In to comment