Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Generation Y, more on top of things.

A year ago I went on a road trip with my Daughter. She comes on the forefront of generation Y. I hadn't seen her for a while and was annoyed that the iPhone was "demading" her time. By the end of the trip my attitude had adjusted. My "navigator" found the cheapest gas, where the pizza was, the weather, etc... And the dohicky has an altimeter, and lat/long plotter. I adjusted.

Helping Others In the Educational Environment Understand

I find it challenging to help others even in an educational environment understand these concepts. In addition it can be difficult for instructors/teachers to be discreet or not feel put off or as if they are giving unfair assistance to students who qualify for certain reasonable accommodations.

Reflection #11, on wheelchair obstacles

One of the obstacles for a student in a wheelchair, that has been encountered at my school, was the height of computer desks. The student had a motorized wheelchair, which sat higher up than a normal chair. The school bought desks to accommodate her, in each computer class that she would be taking. This helped her through her program. Another obstacle is the amount of space between desks and/or tables, to move around in a wheelchair. Most of our classrooms have tables, so they can be moved for the wheelchair students; the other students will still have enough room, and… >>>

Reflection #1, on not labeling a student by his or her disability

This question made me think of a remark a co-worker said. She had brought a young man to my area, to start an ASVAB practice test Internet program. As he entered the room ahead of her, she whispered to me,"He's slow." She turned and left the room. That remark did not make me treat him any different, as I was leading him through the sign-in and starting of the practice. I do not know if he heard what she had said, but he did not come back anymore. If we label students from the start, by their disabilities or what… >>>

Reflection #3 Tasks that rely on sound

I can personally relate to this, since I wear hearing aids in both ears. Before I had them, my husband would ask if I had heard certain things; I would say I did not, which made him concerned.I would also have to ask students, over and over, what they had said; we have all had the soft talkers, which made it that much harder to hear. Being in traffic, where you need to heard horns blowing or tires screaching to a halt, is also an important situation to have good hearing. Not being able to hear a collegue trying to… >>>

Assumptions

Do you think that anyone is able to teach ELL students?

Reflection #14, about accommodating for a blind student

This questions made me think of a guy at the college I went to, for my junior and senior year; he was totally blind. He had a person with him who recorded the lecture, for him to listen to again later. Also, the chapters in the books were read to him; I'm not sure if he had Braille translations or not. Anyway, he went on to be in radio at a local station. In reference to accommodating lind student, I would be willing to have my lectures recorded. I would also find out how he has communicated in the past,… >>>

Reflection questions#12, about medical assistance protocol

We have had students, over the years, who have needed medical attention. It seems that everyone on campus knows to call 911 for help; we also have a great medical dept.,usually with one or more nurse being on campus at one time. I, myself, have had to help and "coordinate" people into action, when a student needed it. The former head of our Medical dept. taught me so much about being calm, and taking control; watching her, during a couple of times helping a student, especially during a student's seizure, is what taught me that I could be of help.… >>>

Application exercises

How do we submit application exercises? Do we work them into a discussion question?

The willingness to assist.

It seems to me that, no matter the disability, as long as you the teacher are willing to show the student that you are interested in making sure they get a fair shake they will respect and appreciate your initiative. I have dealt with most of the different types of students that have been listed in this CEE and simple gestures and patience has gained me and the student the most of their time in my class.

classroom environment

How do you make your classroom environment comfortable? I took ESL classes long time ago to learn English when I came to the US from my origin country. I felt nervous when I was at the classroom...It is important to make students from overseas or who do not speak English feel comfortable when they learn English...it helps them to learn English faster...what do you think?

Experiential Learning for Gen Yers

Why do Generation Y learners value experiential learning?

Engaging Gen Y Learners

What are some strategies for engaging Generation Y learners?

Using Social Networks

How do social networks influence the learning of Gen Y students?

Gen Y Students and Technology

As digital natives how do Gen Y students view technology?

Strategies for teaching Gen Yers.

What are strategies that have worked for you with Gen Y learners?

Characteristics of generational learners

What is the value of knowing the characteristics of different generations of learners?

Technology and Generation Y Learners

From your perspective, how has technology impacted the learning process of Gen Y students?

Characteristics of Generation Y Learners

How do the characteristics of Generation Y learners impact the instructional planning process?

Characteristics of Generation Y Learners

How do the characteristics of Generation Y learners impact the instructional planning process?