Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Technology in lab environment

I really enjoyed ready this particular module relating to the Y generation students. I have noticed in the last few years that it has become harder to manage the technology in the lab environment. We have rules about the usage of technology while we are working in lab, but it has become hareder to mange due to the increasing amount of technology that is available. I would prefer for the students to not use their cell phone for anything during lab, but again, when they are doing certain work i would rather them take out their phone and use it to take a picture of a certain component before disassembly that way they have a visual of how it was prior to assembling it. I would prefer to have them not use their cell phone during lab, but again, what if they are trying to access a calculator, or a shim math application, or a training video. I think we can go on and on about the rules of not using your technology in the lab, but it is hard to manage the rule when we have so many uses of the technology that benefit the student. This is such a great topic to debate....

Brian,
you are so right & depending on the day & my encounters that day I could easily debate either side!

Dr. Ryan Meers

I agree it is a useful tool. I also appreciated the further insight in the course that recommends asking your "digital native" students for assistance w/technology and therefore maintaining your mutual respect for one another without trying to bluff your way through.

amy,
although it seems simple, that really is an important point. This generation knows when we are bluffing & they do not care for the "fake" at all (in all areas of life). So even asking for help with technology gets them involved & also demonstrates that we are authentic.

Dr. Ryan Meers

The "New Technology" i.e. droids, iphones, etc, etc have all kinds of different programs that allow the user access to, well the world. I understand that with access to all this information, students could truly expand their horizons in the field of their choosing (as opposed to just watching you tube)

As Mr. Lancaster stated above, I could see them taking out their cell phone and snapping a series of pictures of an assembly prior to dissassembly and throughout the various stages of disassembly. This type if visual identification would be helpful in diagnosing, documentation and re-assembly.

Our corporate techline does in fact ask for this "digital information" at times when trying to assist the technician with an issue.

Digital Technology has it's place, the trouble is trying to use the technology as a tool in the lab enviroment and in the work place, again "as a tool" I beleive is the key word here.

Darrell,
this is a great way to incorporate the technology as a tool. Although, as you pointed out, there are definitely challenges.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

You have a good point about using the phone to take a photo. One area that I had a problem with was students wanting to use the calculator on their phones during a test. Only to catch students Googling answers to test questions. I started to require calculators and not phones for class.

Calvin,
this is a good example of where we, as instructors, have to be wise in how we approach the various situations.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment