Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Is student learning #1 ?

This section was a revelation - only since it makes it so apparent that I must determine this aspect in the interviewing of new instructors. One of my favorite interview questions is "What motivates you?" From the perspective of placing student learning at the top of the list I will now listen differently to this answer.

Hi Randy:
Your response really does get at the core of what teaching is all about. There are so many aspects to good teaching. I believe only those who are willing to ongoing, sustained improvement will turn out the best students and capture true job satisfaction for themselves too.

Regards, Barry

The sad thing is that sometimes student learning is completely overlooked. Some teachers have been instructing the same way year after year and won't adapt their teaching styles to the student's learning styles. This doens't put student learning first. My job is not to teach the students, but to make sure that the students learn.

What I strive for most of all is for my students to "understand" what I am teaching them. If they understand what they are learning and doing, then I've done my job. In our field the other skills will come over time, but I am one that will jump right in and help them to learn techniques to accellerate skill learning once they have begun working.

Hi Eric:
I think you grasp of your role as instructor is right on target.

We use a variety of delievry and instructtional tools and resources in our jobs. But, all of these merely aid or facilitate the purpose of transfering or conveying knowledge to the next generation. The more skilled we are at that ability, the more effective instrucyors we'll be.

Regards, Barry

I am very happy every day to have the opportunity to pass along my knowledge to the students. I stick to classes that contain material that excites me so that the students will see my enthusiasm and hopefully be motivated to learn. I also am not afraid to make a fool of my self the get a concept across, I have had many students repeat things to me in the hall that they learned in my class thanks to me being willing to go outside of my comfort zone.

Hi Mark:
It sounds like you have a good perspective about your role as instructor. Enthusiasm will always attract folks - inside and outside the classroom. I think students remember what you say because you've been able to break through their walls of resistance. They do this because the trust you. Thats a great attritbute!

Regards, Barry

I agree, however I think sometimes it happens with new or "green" instructors as well. I have seen where they put alot of effort in making sure they cover and present all the lesson information and sometimes the important objective gets overlooked.

Hi Jason:
Good observation. Time can always be filled with important information but what is most important is what aliggns with the sttudent learning objectives and course outlines. Sometimes newer instructors need to find their stride, tempo, pace, and timing. Mostly, this just comes with practice and trial and error. Preaparation is a big part of timing as well.

Regards, Barry

Randy I agree that your question of "What motivates you?" is an excellent question to get insite into the aspects of a perspective instructor. One of my favorites is "What ideas do you have to motivate your students?" I feel that it is imparative that the instructor have the desire to keep the students interested and motivated so as the students will suceed in learning. This is the MOST important objective of the any instructor.

Regards Ken

Sign In to comment