Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Guest Speaker

Wouldn't it help, or give perspective, to have a guest speaker with an opposing view than what students are normally tough?

Hi Andres:

Good comment.

I agree in this way: a good guest speaker will bring alternate ideas, an experienced veiwpoint, and information that may vary somewhat or augment what the textbook and primary instructor is teaching. I think that is what makes the use of a guest speaker effective - providing information not normally acccessible to students.

Regards, Barry

I do not feel that a guest speaker should be chosen only if his/her view is contradictory to the view of the teacher. A guest speaker should be chosen on the basis of his/her knowledge of the subject, particularly outside of the classroom, and the speakers ability to engage the students at least as well as the teacher does.

If it is a matter-of-fact situation, where we are dealing with the idea of TEACHING,then,
personal views ought not to be expressed when we intend to educate on topics that impact factual documentation. A guest speaker has to augment or serve as a continuum to, or furnish practical/supplemental information on the present Module's topic, hence serving as a very pragmatic approach from someone who will be imparting the actual experience into the classroom. Other topics on Philosophy or related discussions should be engaging with Point-of-views(POV).

Nandan:

Yes I agree. If you read my previous post I was emphasizing a benefit to having a guest speaker is that they may bring a different perspective to the topic, but hopefully not contradictory to the instructors purpose.

Regards, Barry

I think that the main purpose of a guest speaker should be to inspire the students to do well in their chosen field(s)and give them information that could be helpful. Perhaps that opinion comes from teaching at a career education school. I think that an inspiring speaker in a career that is taught at the school would provide the best use of the students' time. There is already alot of material out there that is controversial or contrary to what an instruc-tor's viewpoint is. A student has the option to read that material or see film(s) about it.

Hi Anne:

Good thoughts. Every tool and resource used should contribute in some positive manner to the students overall learning experience. A good guest speaker will add, or complement the lesson or topic, even if it is a bit different than what the instructor usually allows or provides for.

Even a different veiewpoint can be a good thing as long as it promotes critical thinking by the students and is not a cross current to what the instructor wants as an outcome.

Regards, Barry

I do not think just choosing because of an opposing view should be the determining factor rather than having a guest speaker just in general gives a fresh look at the material to the students just because everyones personality and views are a little different. I believe that the biggest benefit from guest speakers is that they tend to jump start discussions around the subjects that you waant the students to expand upon.

Anthony: You're right, but don't get me wrong about the opposing view thing. I've merely experienced many guest speakers would would bring in their own perspective or agenda, and sometimes I thoght to myself "gosh, I wish they would have gone down that road". For instance, when a guest speaks poorly about a local employer or individual, or gives inacuarate information, or strays way off track, or is rude, etc.

Regards, Barry

I COULDN'T AGREE MORE, AND THE KEY PHRASE WOULD BE "PROVIDING INFORMATION NOT NORMALLY ACCESSIBLE TO STUDENTS". THE USE OF GUEST SPEAKERS IS A GREAT TOOL TO SHOW ANOTHER POINT OF VIEW OR JUST ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON A SPECIFIC SUBJECT MATTER THRU PERSONAL EXPERIENCES OF THE SPEAKER, HOW EVER WHEN CHOOSING A GUEST SPEAKER ONE MUST FIND SOME ONE WHO IS VERY SUCCESSFUL AND ACCOMPLISHED IN THE FIELD THAT RELATES TO THE SUBJECT, OTHERWISE STUDENTS WILL LOOSE INTEREST AND THE PRESENTATION WILL NOT ACHIEVE THE RESULTS ONE MIGHT EXPECT.

Jose:
Good points. I think having a knowledgeable outsider brings fresh ideas and a change of pace - and that's always a helpful thing.

Regards, Barry

I agree completely, guest speakers give the student a face to their chosen career.

Hi Bernie:
I try to schedule at least 1-2 guest speakers each 17-week term. It's great for motivating and sometimes may validate information students have heard in class (that creates trust and respect).

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment