Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

types of evaluation

Exams should be qualitative. Try to aviod trick questions and play on words questions. This only discredits your intentions.

Hi John:

I agree with you completely about trick questions. In the end, they don't really work well to assess your students learning, and they could contribute to confusion about what the student has learned correctly.

Also, these type of questions tend to build distrust between the instructor and student.

Opponents of this view would say "well, if the student knows the material they'll be able to answer the question correctly". I would counter that this tactic contributes more to doubt than certainty - seeming contrary to what we want to accomplish as effective instructors.

Regards, Barry

I agree!

I agree, and have learned the hard way on this one!

Hi Samuel:

Trick questions have very little purpose (unless it's for some sill game show on TV). Confusion, uncertainty, and frustration are more likely the consequences of this type of questionsing. We would rather instill confidence, clarity, and reinforcement of the correct material. That's not likely with trick questions.

Regards, barry

Exams should be graded and discussed with the student To not only let the student know what they were incorrect on, but to inquire about how they came to that answer.

Hi Jay:
Good! Post exam review is quite effective in providing immediate feedback, reinforcing the correct answer, and assists illuminating why the incorrect answer the student may have chosen was not the best choice.

Regards, Barry

I have actually worked with other instrucors whom enjoy trying to trick students during an evaluatiuon. They also are disappointed when a student earns an A in their class. I am surprised when instructors use an evaluation to compete with a student rather than evaluate their knowledge of the subject.

Hi Jeff:
Oooooh....sounds awful! The individual with that kind of mentality should look for another line of work! I agree that student assessment is an opportunity to reinforce the degree to which a student has learned some portion of necessary information relative to their chosen profession.

I don't know if this is scientific, but I've heard "90% of your students should get 90% or better in the the class". Even if it's not scientific, it'd sure be a great goal to shoot for. The key is that the instructor and student are working torwards the same goal.

Regards, Barry

Hi Barry and Jay,

Yes, testing is a major tool of evaluation and I also use it for reinforcement. When I check test papers, I encircle the mistakes and write notes and remarks why and how the mistakes occur by referring to a principle or rule. STudents present their revision/correction on popular items/problems that were mistaken as a "have the floor" activity.

Sign In to comment