Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Grading

The hardest thing is to show your students that the grading system the you have is fair and balanced.

Hello Andres:

You're right, constructing grading systems require thought and wisdom. Fair implies no partiality to any individual. Balanced, at least how I believe you mean, implies thoruogh, comprehensive, or complete.

These attributes can be integrated in to a grading system if you go back to the fundamental course objectives, strive to meet each and every one, and prepare your tests around the student learning objectives (SLO's).

Then, you'll have achieved at least a basic level of fair and balanced.

Regards, Barry

A grading SYSTEM is always fair and balanced. It is the grade on a particular assignment that is usually challenged. Every teacher is not always fair in grading assignments nor is every student equally thorough in completing his/her work. Showing that you, as the teacher, are being fair, is actually quite easy. You set up very specific standards before giving any assignment. And then, you follow those standards when grading each assignment.

Nandan:

Yes, I agree, especially about setting the standards beforehand. We all operate within certain expectations, and there are consequences for demonstrating conformance and, likewise, consequences for not conforming to expectations. This principle can be applied to just about any grading system. And in my opinion, it should. Students will respond favorably when they know clearly what the expectations are.

Barry

Hello,

I think that if we can maintain a consistency in grading, and show that to our students, then there cannot be any questions about our grading system.

It is easy to sway from this for our "deserving" students vs. students who do not put in as much effort. But if we can resist this temptation, then we will not be questioned.

Those students will end up proving themselves in the long run anyway.

Thanks.

-Dr. Ben Cheriyan

Hi Ajith:

Yes! I think consistency must be ingrained in any grading system. I believe what is key is assuring students konw what the expectations are beforehand, then throughout the course, reinforce their performance and encourage them to expand their efforts in order to assure they're on track to earning the maximum points possible. As you say, in this instance, there can be no disagreements about how the students grade was dervived. AQn hopefully, the student will feel as though you have been like cheerleader to help them achieve their grade.

Regards, Barry

Utilizing grading rubrics is imperative to the entire grading process. This allows the instructor to assess each assignment fairly, the expectations are clear cut and the student is "in control" of their grade by the amount of effort put into the assignment. There are no surprises for the student and the rubric clearly leaves little room for debate.

Hi Laurie:

Yes, rubrics work. The last thing an instructor wants is the (false) accusation that they are not being fair. The rubric helps settle arguments but not eliminate them. The student can still feel their work was not fairly graded.

I'd put it this way, without a rubric, you're going to have difficulty. Having one won't eliminate a differece in opinion, but it'll give the instructor an objective edge from which to argue their point.

Regards, Barry

Greetings Laurie,
I make sure to use the rubric in all my courses. Easy grade pro is very acurate also.
William

Rubics is a wonderful grading systems. I use it everyday with the students: Sanitation, Presentation, Taste and Temperature and Texture. It is consistent grading system.

Hi Diane:
Rubrics do add an objective grading system that, when properly constructed help both teacher and student define and/or report student progress. It takes a bit of time to get the bugs worked out, but once done, it is truly helpful.

Regards, Barry

i frankly do not understand how anybody would believe in a grading system which is not clearly governed by intelligent, fair rubrics.

Hi Hans:
Rubrics are quite efficient in defining what and how grading will occur. There may be some manipulative-oriented skills that require subjective assessment by an evaluator. But even these instances, the criteria should be clearly stated and defined beforehand.

Regards, Barry

I have found that the only grading system the students think is fair is the one that includes them getting full points for every assignment reguardless of how much effort they put into it. The t-ball mentality seems to have taken root, meaning if you participate you get the best prize or in their case maximum points. I lay everything out very clearly on the first day and still have students asking me to explain why they lost points on an assignment that was only partally complete. After I finish this I am going to revise my sylibus to include the grading procedure.

Hi Mark:
You're right about some students coming into a new class feeling entitled regardless of their performance. It can be frustrating. A good syllabus with clear expectations on everything from policies to grading should be included.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment