Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Field Trips and Liability.

I remember college classes and even grade school classes having fieldtrips. It was exciting to see what we were learning about in person. I tended to remember those trips very clearly for a long time. Considering the amount of learning and retention associated with it I would love to organize fieldtrips at this institution, however, there is the concern of liability. How can we overcome this?

Hi Kevin:

You've posed an interesting observation about your past learning. One reaction I have is how important visual is in relation to long term memory.

The liability thing is a hard nut to crack sometimes. One suggestion might be for you to invite a collegue or someone you know from a site you like to visit to come and speak to your class. From that opening, you could have the guest serve as your advocate - as an insider - to get past some of the red tape.

I always make sure guests in my classes, or when I'm a guest elsewhere, receive lots of thanks and appreciation. Having students write these can do wonders for repeat and return appearences - both in your class and invitees to the field site.

Regards, Barry

Barry,

Great input. It never hurts to have an inside voice in your corner.

As far as visual input, I feel that field trips connect on many levels, visual, audial, and hands on. The more avenues we use to store information and the more effort it takes to learn it, the easier it seems for us to find it later.

Kevin

Hi Kevin:

Yeah, I think the more senses that are involved in a learning activity, the more memorable that experiece is likely to be.

So, read it, hear it, touch it, feel it, smell it, etc. Doing it is by far the way to learn best. Of course, that sentiment is not applicable to all kinds of learning needs. But when possible I think students really learn when (forced) given the opportunity to learn by doing. This is practiced in clinical instruction for the health sciences and on-the-job performance is proof in the pudding.

So, that is why that field trip is so helpful when coupled with other learning resources.

Regards, Barry

If you are unable to bring the class to the field, then bring the field to the class. Be creative and imaginative and you will find suitable replacements. Creative thinking, keep it up.

Hi Leslie:

Labs probably had their origin based on the principle you've descibed here. Simulate a work environment or a application related to the topic. Students tend to remember what they see, so effective demonstrations or other creative methods prepared to be imaginative will likely be longlasting and positively contribute to learning, and be remembered!

Regards, Barry

Field Trips are definitely stimulating and a means of escape from a stagnant class room situation. It is most rewarding because the students utilise their senses in the learning process, especially by the sense of sight (83%). Specified observations of a work environment are made, which may not have been previously given the attention before.
In training, for example, to be a Pharmacy Technician, a field trip was made to have first hand experience of patient/Pharmacist/Pharm. Tech. communication exchange. The students were amazed to see/hear what really transacted in the Pharmacy.

Prior to leaving our facility, a release form was signed by the students to remove all possibilities which may lead to liability against the Institution.

Hi Gilbert:

You are right - students rember personal experiences, like waht usually occurs in a field trip. This touches on a key principle about the way adults learn, that is, by doing. So although there may not be any hands on, when the students get to visualize a real life environment, they're going to remember it.

Regards, Barry

The field trip is excellent both for student as
well as for the instructor. The student can
learn some thing interesting by changing the
environment. But instructor should take the
liability for everything & monitor every
student carefully.

Hi Mohammed:
It's true, like a momma chicken, when an instructor takes his students outside the structured setting of the classroom and campus, s/he has to be keenly aware of each student, there whereabouts, and their involvement.

I think it's particularly important that students demonstrate extra courtesy and respect while on another's property.

Regards, Barry

The courses I teach don't have field trips but when I substitute for other Instructors I have been on a few field trips. I went to one of my previous employers and having the "connection" the Service Manager actually spent twice as much time with my class. Our school also has the students sign waivers before leaving campus. Sometimes budget plays a role in transportation so we have the students drive themsevles.

Hi Terrance:
That's great that you were able to use a previous employer as a resource for the class you were subing for.

As for students driving themseleves, if they take along other students, it'd probably be a good idea to have the riding students sign some kind of "release of liability" from the college. Also, any drivers that provide their own transportation to a school sanctioned activity off campus should have their drivers license and proof of insurance on file with the college. Sadly, our litigious society is very willing to file lawsuits.

Regards, Barry

I take my student to field trips this give them the orppoertunity to see waht the real world is about.

Barry-

The thank you notes are a great idea! I can't believe I haven't thought about having my students do this in the past. Looking forward I am definitely going to adopt this practice.

Hi Nathan:
Glad you've found benefit from the forum discussions!

Regards, Barry

I think the idea of bringing the field to the class is great. The liability issues inherent in field trip situations make many instructors uncomfortable and I think bringing in speakers and having them use visual aids when possible is a great alternative.

s.craig

Sandra,
Some programs have more access to a wealth of good, safe field trip options. Guest speakers work well too, especially if they can provide an aspect of the profession that adds something more than usually provided in school or as part of the training. Giving students something they feel will benefit them in their workplace setting have been my more successful guest speaker events.

Barry Westling

Sign In to comment