Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Methods of Delivery

This all falls back onto the instructor to be able to recognize the abbilities of the classes.

Vincent:
You're right - a good instructor will be able to size up their student cohort and make adaptations accordingly. Of course, the student learning outcomes have to be met. But there are always a variety of methods to achieve these.

Regards, Barry

I find that there is a mix of learners in each class and I agree that you must be able to recognize the class's abilities. We now have the ability to place powerpoints on students portals which I find has helped them throughout the learning process. They no longer have to take notes while instruction is going on because they now can view them at any time. Test scores have improved to some degree.

Very nicely expressed. This should always be the first step to any teaching approach.

i mix up pp and hands on items and state changes all the time to keep thing interesting

Hi Donald:
Good! Student access to learning resources, especially those they can utilize at thier liesure on their own schedule are wonderful. An analogy might be like a student choosing the food for a meal, including the portions - all according to what s/he feels is right amount.

Regards, Barry

This is true but sometimes becomes complicated when the student body is devided in aptitude inequality.I have been in this situation with two or sometimes three different levels of student abilities in the same classroom which then required me to "translate" the power point to these groups.

Hi Keith:
Varied class aptitudes that are wide in range can pose a challenge. For PPT, I have prepared only basic information on the slides, then elaborate, discuss, and ingage the students to the degree needed (and capable).

In a way, all groups are like this to some degree. But when the gap is wide, we have to work harder on reaching the loer end students.

Regards, Barry

I change the method of delivery all the time depending on class dynamics. There are days when a straight powerpoint presentation won't work, but a more relaxed discussion of a given topic will.

Hi Steve:
Change ups, as I call them, are great ways to keep students alert and a bit more attentive. Just as in baseball with a change-up pitch, what is expected is substitued for something else. Keep it interesting.

Regards, Barry

I agree. I use PowerPoint as a point to begin my discussion then elaborate as needed depending on the skills of each group of students I have. I also try to take advantage of YouTube and Facebook/LinkedIn whenever possible. I teach business classes and I try to relate some of the topics into the business-use of social networks and sites like YouTube. There are also a lot of really great videos out there that talk about body language, interview tips, etc. and break up the lecture for the students when I get the sense that they need something new to engage them.

Sign In to comment