Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning your students

It is important to learn how your students learn in order to teach. We are all students in life.

Hi Thomas:

Yes, knowing how your students learn is extrememly beneficial. I've found the process for discovering that key however, can require work, true interest, and effort on the part of the instructor in order to close in on the target.

One simple technique I've used is arranging an informal one-on-one visit with each student with the purpose of just talking about what's important to them. I've found they reveal a lot if one listens very carefully.

Of course, there are professionally designed testing instruments geared to identfy what type of learner the student is. But these are not infallible. So, I suppose one can run the gamet from very simple to highly advanced and developed.

I guess my point is that no matter what one does, it's going to take some effort on the part of the teacher to gain any meaningful insight.

Regards, Barry

This is one of the most critical elements of successful teaching in my opinion. Classes vary from cohort to cohort and student to student. By understanding how your students process information and store it for future reference and use (learn), you can make sure that you include that learning style as often as necessary in that class. I have never had a class that was a single learning style. However, I have had many classes that are predominantly kinestetic learners. Since they learn by doing, I have developed case studies and other exercises that seem to add value for everyone.

Hi Jennie:
This is great!

Why this is effective, in part, is because it requires the instructor to think about the class in a slightly different way. That is, viewing the class as a collection of individuals rather than a single entity representing simply a quantity of individuals that has gathered at the same time.

An analogy might be like looking at all of your family members (and their needs) differently, rather than treating all exactly alike without consideration for their uniqueness’s.

Regards, Barry

Definitely, we never stop learning!

As much as possible I believe it's a good idea to incorporate all four learning styles into your instruction. This satisfies most needs and couse timing.
RW

Hi Ron:
Yes, all the learning styles are useful, and probably most students will benefit from instruction delivered in a fashion that incorporates these different styles.

I think that as faculty, we have the closet connection with the student directly. It may be that for a given course, lesson or topic, it would be beneficial to modify the delivery in a learning style that better relates to the cohort being taught. Of course, we don't always have that luxury, but it could be instrumental in better student outcomes when the opportunity presents.

Regards, Barry

This is absolutely true! I learn from my students all the time and when I am aware of how they learn, it enhances my teaching skills.

Hi Jennie,

It has been my experience that all of us has a dominate learning style, but we really has a combination of styles. Often times they are very evenly balanced, so we have to teach them using a combination of techniques.

take care,

rob

Response to Jennie, I like your approach by using case studies to reach. I too do that. Being a crime scene investigator, I bring in actual case scenarios of cases I have handled and have students work through them to see how they would approach the crime scene, the techniques they would use and the evidence they may be looking for. It works great and provides another type of learning venue. Ultimately different styles should be employed throughout the course to be in touch with different learning styles. Great post, Sharon

I think that learning how your students learn will assist you in developing a more divers teaching style. The students various needs will command a teacher to think out of the box ocassionally without compromising the integrity of the curriculum.

The number one rule of any presentation is Know your audience. When others have given up on a student I have learned that they were going through something... but had the desire and the potential. I offered them a helping hand as they were just overwhelmed. Sometimes knowing how to flex your teaching for your particular audience is critical.

Hi Andrew:
You're right about getting to know your students and how they learn. It will also help your relationship with them when you discuss related subjects - they'll feel more like you care abnbout them.

Regards, Barry

Hi Victoria:
As touched on in a previous post, the ability to be flexible and consider your student's needs contributes to better student outcomes.

Regards, Barry

By understanding how your students process information and store it

Hi Joe:
Yes! Retention of key information demonstrates understanding of the material. That's the ultimate goal of just about any lesson.

Regards, Barry

Getting to know the students during short pauses during the instructional period has helped me a lot in presenting the information to the students in a meaningful way.

Hi Patrick:
Great! I think anytime an instructor takes (even a little bit) of time to get to know their students, its a positive thing. Many times that interaction makes the student feel more comfortable having a conversation and also conveys the idea the instructor cares. Of course the instructor benefits as well.

Regards, Barry

I have a questionairre that i send out to students and it is optional to reply. It has questions about prior experience, current concerns, and support systems. It is a great format to open dialogue with new students. a recent example is that a recent student told me that he had just taken a new job that required a great deal of time and energy and he was concerned if he would have enough leftover for school. After some discussion we came to the decision that a part time status would work out better. If he had not shared that he may have struggled for weeks without intervention.

Hi Barbara:
Getting to know your your students to a greater depth is always helpful, whether it be by questionnaire or other means. Of course there are limits but I think hwnever we can personalize our relationships with students they're going to benefit from it.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment