Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

More than a sample

When working with a sample is it a good Idea to bring a big sample? Wont this distract students from the lecture?

Hi Andres:

You may have a point. In some classes, having some large obstructive piece of machinary might be a distration.

On the other hand, having demonstration pieces that students can handle more often than not add to the learning process because the student is utilizing multiple senses (touch, feel, see, etc).

I think this is more what the lesson is alluding to.

Regards, Barry

Hi Andres, I have had great results with bringing in samples. In my fashion design class I have brought in vintage garments from different decades for my students to handle. It makes my lecture "come alive" for the students becuse they get to actually touch and see what was shown in their textbook and what I had described during lecture.It always leads to interesting class discussion and seeing the actual garments really sparks their creativity. It inspires them to come up with new design ideas.

Dear Andres,
When it comes to bringing in samples my feeling is "the more, the merrier" and display sometimes is what makes the difference. I love it when I introduce a new assignment in Design Fundamen-tals and the "Oh, Wow!" effect comes into play when they see an exciting display of projects students have done previously. A mere lecture or written explanation of what is expected in an assignment frequently results in a student raising their hand and saying "I'm confused! what do you mean by 'such-and-such'?" Generating enthusiasm and clarityabout starting a new project makes the launching of it ever so much easier and samples make the difference. Any lecture given in addition to showing the sample(s) will 'flow' alot better rather than being distracting. After all, "one picture is worth a thousand words!" Anne

Andres,
I believe a "big sample" can be successful if it utilized by the students. Yes, it could very well become a distraction during a lecture. So don't use it during the lecture, use it after and let the student utilize it for completion of a task or research.
RW

I believe that a "big sample" may disrupt an accademic type setting, but in a lab type setting it will give the students something to get their wheels turning. It is almost imperitive to have some sort of sample in a practical learning environment is key.

In my class, when talking about nutrition and food labels, it works better when we bring actual food into class. We not only compare the labels, we also see if the food that is better for you tastes good. The students love the "hands on" of this lesson.

Sign In to comment