Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Extra Credit

I feel that "extra" credit is unfair to those who put forth the effort to do well in the class. It allows those who "slack off" in class the opportunity "catch up" with those students who did well in the first place. Besides, if someone does 100% AND does the extra credit, how can that person get more than 100%?
101%?
A++?
4.01 GPA?
Extra Credit = Bad Idea

Hi Charles:
You make a good point about the rationale for extra credit. I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other. I can say, however that some instructors allow extra credit - but not for slackers. It's for the ordinarily good student to keep their grades up when confronted with circumstances out of their control and that could affect their grade adversely.

Perhaps EC is more applicable in some classes than others. If the goal is learning, and a student can demonstrate improvement beyond the usual graded assignments, I can see where some instructors may be inclined to offer some degree of EC.

Regards, Barry

I have tried that extra credit route. It just makes things complicated. I agree with Charles. I consistantly deny extra credit. why give students with low drive a safety net.

i agree, i dont use extra credit

I feel that extra credit takes the initial incentive out of the class. if the class thinks they can always make up for absents, mistakes and screw ups, this i feel dilutes attention to detail and the professionalism i try to instill. in my students. there might be exceptions to the rule to make up for personal emergencies, but this is done one on one as accepted. not to mention grading problems that could arise out of trying to place a value on extra credit work. I also agree that it is unfair to slower students that are trying to learn it and do it right the first time.

Hi Larry:
You've made some solid point against the use of extra credit. Because there are mutitudes and varieties of different kinds of courses, extra credit does have a place is some of these settings.Writing classes, for instance, may allow extra credit to allow a student to demonstrate their skills above and beyond the "graded" or required work.

It's interesting that probably the students that do the extra credit often don't need it for their grade. Yet others rely on it to just barely get by. One way of looking at it is "Has the student demonstrated the required learning". I think grading systems and learning assessment sometimes are not synchronized very well.

Regards, Barry

What I think about extra credit is that we should give them only to those students that are in class everday paying atention and got a bad great on a test ,but not to thosse that do't care.

extra credit?! how about extra effort! students who are there to learn could have a stumble on a test and tank their "perfect grade" if they are trully dedicated to their grade they will learn from that situation and strive for even more focus .... continuous improvement:)

I fully agree with you. When I first began teaching I offered extra credit assignments as an incentive to "catch up". This was a bad idea, students passed that shouldn't have. I no longer assign extra credit assignments and medical documentation must be provided in order to take make up exams.

Hi Theresa:
You have experienced what many instructors have experienced and, if given the option, elect not to award extra credit or give it under the most worthy of circumstances (hospitalization or documented illness).

I think extra credit can be a good thing but shouldn't be used to substitute for regular assignments. How one grades EC varies greatly among instructors.

Regards, Barry

Our Institute does not allow for extra credit on class grades, however they will allow for it on lab grades.

Depending on the class I'm teaching, I offer extra credit to students when the opportunity is there. Usually, I'll offer the credit for a diagnostic or procedure task.

For example, in Basic Electric, I ask the students how I can jump start my 12 volt, positive ground British motorcycle with my 12 volt negative ground American truck.

In Climate Control, I'll ask why cold air comes in through leaky house windows and doors in the winter. Heat is supposed to travel to cold. Why is the cold traveling to heat?

I pose these extra credit tasks to the class as a unit and have them procede immediately./ No convering with one another.

If they are correct with these moderately hard tasks, I feel the student is worthy of extra credit.

This does not alow a safety net for slackers, but instead offers a reward for anyone capable..

Mike

Hi Mike:
Well you've found a way to acknowledge learning from your students when your institution does not allow extra credit. I think that's a very creative approach. Thanks for sharing.

Regards, Barry

What is wrong with letting slackers catchup with extra credit work?

Hi Larry:
There are a lot of varied opinions regarding the practice of allowing extra credit. I can't resolve the issue in this forum. But I can say if it is used guidelines should be stated clearly at the beginning of the class and fairly delivered to all class members.

Regards, Barry

I am in a similar situation. In lab I will offer extra credit for students that take the initiative to work on troubleshooting and repairs.

Hi Bernie:
Students like having an opportunity to earn a few extra points. Some instructors are opposed to this practice, and their rationale is justified. I just say be fair and equitable with all students if EC is going to be awarded.

Regards, Barry

I rarely give extra credit and when I do, it seems the ones who take on the extra credit don't need the points and the ones who need the points don't bother helping their grade by doing the extra work.

Hi Brian:
EC is one of those components that teachers either use or don't, and they have their justifications strongly for and against. I tend not to use it, but will allow bonus points at times if it doesn't change a grade that much. I never allow substitution of required information to be replaced with EC.

Regards, Barry

Yes, I definetely agree. I have alwayd felt that extra credit is unfair for everyone. A lot of students put so much effort into extra credit, but cannot do well on the regularly assigned work. It just does not make sense, if you want a good grade in a class, you must put forth the effort in the beginning.

Hi Caroline:
Yes, and that's why may schools have policies that forbib EC in any form. Besides unfair, grading is usually subjective, it skews grades, and contributes to grade inflation.

EC has to do with point and grades, whereas our mission is about teaching and student learning. Giving away points does nothing for learning.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment