Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Always be prepared

For the teachers to be prepared every day is very important. If not the students will pick up on it.

Hi Vincent:
Very true. Preparation (or lack of it) can be very transparent, even to the less than stellar students. We need to be able to instill confidence in our abilities, encouragement that is acceptable to the student, and competent instruction. All of these attributes can be compromised when students feel we are not prepared. Without being domineering, the instructor has to be control of their class at all times.

Regards, Barry

I agree. Most students will also pick up on the fact that you are not prepare and that could cause class disruption

You are so right! When we think of some of our own teachers and how scatterbrain they appeared in class, they certainly did not inspire much confidence from their students.

Showing up early, having all your class training aids prepped, having documents printed, are all well and good, but there is one more factor. You should always have a plan B or even plan C just in case there is a glich. It could be something as simple as the power point fails. Now is time to go to plan B. Do a demonstration to get your point across. Truitt

Hi Truitt:
Good points, all. The basic idea for back-up is to anticipate there will be problems; therefore, how would I wan to prepare if I knew one of my key tools and or resources was not going to be avialable?

Regards, Barry

yes i believe this but it sure takes a lot of energy

Hi Ronald:
Preparedness does take time - and effort, and work. The payoff is a better learning experience for the student.

Regards, Barry

I agree students will usually pick up on it. However, a good Instructor should be able to go in at times and have enough knowledge of the topic to do some form of lecture even if they were put in last minute.
There were many times, I was asked to sub for a class and I brought a knew look to the topic being studied. As long as you have experience and knowledge of the topic, you should be aaa little flexible.

Hi Andy:
Yes, as instructors, we all have a basic knowledge of the career or profession we're teaching in. Therefore, we should be able to fill in when needed and, at the very least, provide a basic level of cogent lesson.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment