Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Diferent methods for a theory class.

What other methods can be used in a theory class, aside from using a white board or projector that would spark interest in a student?

Hi Andres:

Well, in a sense, the possibilities are endless as long as the instructor doesn't get locked into doing things a certain way.

For instance, you could present a key lesson point or two, then ask selected students to explain it back to you. Then you ask other students if they thought the first student was correct.

You could ask students for situations in their daily lives that might be similar to the point you're teaching.

You could ask students to write out a question for their classmates to answer.

You could have select students present a portion of the lecture.

These are just a few suggestions that come to mind on the surface.

Regards, Barry

Show them how different people have successfully applied the theory in various situations. Then, make up a situation not similar to any of the examples you have given and wait for students to apply the theory to that situation. Then, you can show them how someone else has applied the theory to the same situation and see how their solution compares.

Nandan:

Great! What is likely to occur is critical thinking rather than rote memory. Case examples work so very well, especially in certain specialties (health, medicine, law), but there's no reason that can't be adapted to just about any learning situation.

Regards, Barry

I like to think outside the box when theory is involved. Bringing props or coming up with activities to explain difficult concepts is great. Try to find a simple phenomenon that is really at the center of the concept your trying to explain, and build upon it.

Hi Eric:

Right! Sometimes the most difficult concept can be easily explained by a well planned demonstration or teaching aid. And, as you say, once you have the attention of students, you can then build upon those experiences.

Regards, Barry

Role playing is always fun. For example, you could have one student be a 'salesperson' trying to sell another student a product of their choice or invention by giving a convincing sales pitch. The 'customer' could play 'devil's advo-cate' by asking why on earth they would need that product. The suspense and entertainment that the class would experience would be 1) the sales pitch given by the 'salesperson' and 2) seeing if the 'customer' will buy the product.

Hi Anne:
What a great idea! This exemplifies the power of visual experiences in the learning process. The students observing the scenario will benefit by the exercise. But the students involved in the exercise will remember it the most. Any time we can engage a student this way, the learning and retention curve will improve.

Regards, Barry

Utilizing role playing is always an excellent method, Anne. I have also found debates to be effective...especially if the students are forced to examine an issue from the opposing side/perspective.
I try to teach the students that black/white thinking may significantly hinder them in their careers. Looking at issues from all sides can only benefit them (and their clientele) in the long run. In the criminal justice arena, being judgemental, close minded, inflexible and biased will not assist the students in becoming true role models and leaders in their profession.

Beside the use of the board & projector
we can use hand out. We can also invite the
students to participate actively. Ask them
to make board. beside these we can ask the
students to make term papers. Over all we
have to keep in mind that the instructor has
all the control.

Laurie:
Debates are great, arn't they. Especially if students are assigned an opposing view to try to defend. I've often separated groups by support and opposition. Then (surprise), I've required the participants to take the opposite opinion and defend it. Sometimes this backfires because an opinion is so strong a weak argument results. But generally this gets students thinking about alternate viewpoints.

Regards, Barry

Hi Mohammed:
Yes, these are all good instructional assignments. And you're right that the instructor has control over how many and what kinds of assignments to use. Variety does help. And assigning things that interest the students (if possible) is always going to gety a better response.

Regards, Barry

if the class seems uninterested,with the overhead or whiteboard,i will have the students locate parts and dicribe there funtion & how they are tested,rather than use the overhead or white board.I will include every student randomly,it helps alot.

i have taught many thoery classes. one of neet things about thoery than other class rooms where you might be limited by training aides and media is that you are teaching thoery. in thoery you are teaching the how, where and why of things. depending on your classroom preparation you can use the parts and pieces to show how they fit into the whole picture. at the same time you can use various media to futher explain your point. when teaching thoery your media limits are limited by your imagination.

Hi Larry:
You've presented a simplied definition for theory (how, where why). Ther are many delivery methods for getting these basic tenets across to to the students. You've made a good inspirational point that "media choices are limited only to one's imagination. Cool!

Regards, Barry

The method I use the most is role playing. Each student plays all the roles at one time or another. This helps them to understand the different perspectives from which everyone is coming. Sometimes it proves to make them a little more tolerant and compassionate.
Teri Lynn Clark

Hi Teri:
Good point. Role playing or delivering a lesson in a certain way causes most people to stretch, and become better because of it. Students benefit because they feel connected to thoughts, feelings, operations, or whatever the lesson is focuesd on in a manner they're not accustomed to. That stretch works for them as well.

Regards, Barry

I remember some years ago there was a educational concept known as Microteaching. The concept was a 5 step process, with the first 1 being: Engagement. Engagement of the student. I was asked to serve reviewer for as a 'final exam presentation' for some nursing education students.

One of the best that I reviewed was a presentation on 'Organizing to Pay Bills.' It was an excellent 5 minute presentation. The engagement concept was a olive green plastic rectangular Tupperwear utility basket with handle. Everybody in the room recognized it as a household item, kept under the kitchen sink, filled with cleaning supplies.

Peg [the student] talked about 'this household product' and then for the 4 1/2 minutes used it as a basis for 'Organizing for Paying Bills.' I was fascinated, by the creativity, but also the way she led us into and through her microteach.

I started using that introductory approach and tried to find creative ways to engage the student into the topic for the day. One time I asked a chinese neighbor to draw the ideograph for "crisis" and used that as the introduction for some topic in the Pulmonary Rehab course. Another time I used parts of the purity codes in the Hebrew Bible to introduce the Infesction Control module.

Hi Edward,
I am always amzazed that students can be very creative, and just when I thought I've seen it all, something outstanding remarkably appears! Theory topics can be difficult. I think in general, a good way to start difficult topics is with an illustration, story or simple imaginary mental thought that positions the students mind for the more to come. Stories or past situations can very beneficial in providing a basis or reason why we want to talk about this topic. Taking something they can already relate to and leapfrogging from there can work in many instances.

Barry Westling

Sign In to comment