Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Improvise and adapt

I think you have to be ready to change with the class mood and style. Certain classes react different on Mondays then they do on Fridays. Be ready to change your lesson plan at a moments notice and adapt your style in order to react to the class condition.

Hi Fedele:

I think you've introduced an interesting point regarding adapting.

Certainly, when things get out of control we're goint to have to have a good back up plan. The idea is that the student, instructor, and valuable class time is not wasted in this instance.

I think what you're speaking about is modifying the existing curriculum to match the mood or demeanor of class in order to better reach the students. That is a great strategy and it reflects a sensitivity to the students needs in a specific manner.

I don't think all instructor have the lattitude to do this in every case. But when they do, they're essentially providing a version of a customized and perhaps individulized learning environment.

Good point!

Regards, Barry

Good answer Fedele. Everday is different with these guys.:)

Everyday is different and we can only a adopt so far there still is a lesson to instruct. I have acouple different back up plans for one I have a couple video tapes I can show or we discuse the history of Harley-Davidson and take that as a lead in of the days lesson plan.

I think if the class mood is restless and they don't seem to feel like working a good back-up plan would be an impromptu field trip that you'd have 'in your back pocket.' Have the necessary forms all ready and the forms printed for them to take in order to answer essay questions. That would present them a visual and auditory experience which would literally keep them on their toes and prevent them from sleeping.

Hi Anne:
So true, some days are just more difficult to keep the students attention and interest. Our challenge as instructors is to keep it lively, pertinent, and on topic. That's where adaptation skills and tools will really come in handy, eaxamples of which you've identified.It's related to having back-up plans a bit, isn't it?

Regards, Barry

For the most part our students are interested in the information, it is the instructors ability to deliver the information that will make or break the class. In understanding the adult learner you can effectively motivate them. As an educator I try to be proactive and perceptive in addressing my student needs in any situation.

Hi James:

Yes! Adult learners are a different breed and do respond to rightly directed motivation from their instructor. Trust, respect, caring, and being available are among the traits I've found to be of particular importance in relating to adult learners. If they sense you care, that can really overcome a lot of potential barriers.

Regards, Barry

Barry,

Thank you for your quick responces and insights. I am always grateful to be validated in my methodologies. This is a great learning tool for educators.

With Regards,
James

I agree, and in order to do that you must master the information, only that way you will feel comfortable improvising

When students seem restless and bored, I have turned the tables and have various students teach a portion of the class. With guidance, they usually do well.

Hi James:
What a great instructional activity! To me, this demonstrates an opportunity for class participation, leadership, character building, and of course, strengthening of the course content. Terrific!

Regards, Barry

I agree Barry with your feedback. I've found that by not being able to have some measure of latitude with the material, you can lose your students attention and therefore the goals that have been set for the course. Having a plan A or B or C if needed, is important so that in the least,you can provide alternate ways to get the critical points across. In short, the more ways you can adapt the material/presentation, the more productive the course will be.

Hi Tony:
You bet! I am a strong believer in peer or student tutorials/mentoring. Somewhow, when students are helping each other, they are able to convey information that has been difficult for them as presented by their instructor. That can help a lot.

Also, student involvement by participation leads to increased retention.

Regards, Barry

I teach the same 2 courses over and over but when a student asked if it got boring I told him that because the class dynamics change, it keeps me sharp in figuring out how to best accomplish the same goals with a whole new class personality.

Hi James:
Great! What you are demonstrating is your willingness to be self-evalutative and modify and/or adapt to changing class dynamics, personalities, and learning styles and abilities. Not all instructors are as willing.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment