Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

prepared

I believe it is very important to be prepared for the day, because we are setting an exaple for the students to fallow.

Hi Michael:

Your're right, instructors need to be prepared, just as we expect from our students.

This lesson provided some insight into how one can ready themselves to provide effective instruction. It really takes work and practice.

One of the most meaninful activities an instructor can do is to be willing to really open up to new ideas, suggestions from peers, receive critical assessment of their performance, and accept the change that these steps involve. By doing so we're headed in the direction of solid student learning and achievement.

Regards, Barry

I have found that being prepared needs to start on the first day of the course and continue to the last day. It sets a good example to the student.

Hi Warren:

Your're right. Preparedness takes some thought and time - two attributes many instructors fail to recognize as important to a well crafted course. Your personal preparation will always pay dividends in the end.

Regards, Barry

Hi Barry,

I would like to offer a quotation I saw on the wall of one of my friend's office:"He who does no research, has nothing to teach".

This embodies the main aspect of quality preparation, stemming from a well thought out Instructional Objective, and what is expected to be assimilated by the students in the percent outcome.

Best regards,

Gilbert.

Hi Gilbert:

Hey, that's a great quote! It's kind of like one similar: "Empty thoughts from an empty head".

Preparation will always benefit students and instructors. Although time and effort are required, they are necessary ingredients to a successful instructional experience. Unfortunately, not all instructors embrace this simple strategy for successfulness.

Regards, Barry

There is no sustitute for prepration. The better prepared I am the more I enjoy teaching the class. The day I am not prepared and have not planned my lesson I am not as comfortable and tend to lose the grip on the class and my fluency is effected and tend to deviate from the course and may not be ablethe required information needed for this class. Nothing better then prepration.

Hi Mohammed:
You're right, not only do you feel out of sync, but I believe students pick up on that as well and could possibly result in affecting their interest and perhaps even thier grade on the days assignments.

Regards, Barry

some time for me hard to give student new ideas

Hi Mauricio:
One of the best way to get students to think about new ideas is to solict the information from the students themselves. This is really a form of critical thinking, which most educators agree is a preferred outcome for learning.

You can ask students to do presentations and critique them; or you could have student groups present group comments to the rest of the class, etc. There are many ways you could do it.

You have control over what information the students bring and you can always correct, amplify, clarify, etc. Hope this is helpful.

Regards, Barry

I have been an instructor for 20 years and it is truely an ongoing learning experience, always changing and you are always adapting. I have worked with the last minute ,unprepared instructors and you can not hide that from the students.

Hi Ron:
Boy, you are right about having to be adaptable. The process of transfering our knowledge to the student can be expressed in so many ways, it really forces one to stand back and appreciate the opportuinity they have to be involved (and responsible for) a students eductaion.

Regards Barry

If I feel out of sync, I try to focus on what the student would like to get out of the subject matter. This helps me get everyone, including myself, back on point.

Hi Patrick:
Interesting comment, but it's a good point. Thinking about the class from the perspective of the student. I think there's an educational principle out there called student-focused instruction. Thanks for sharing - Good post.

Regards, Barry

Your being prepared is not always visible to the student since your preparation is done before class. But your presentation should reflect preparation and you can talk about their being prepared and how they can do it.

Sign In to comment