Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

The perpetual interrupter

I have staff that come to me for things they should be able to handle and due tomy slight ADHD I get involved and then off task. I am working on saying no this is omething you can handle come tell me how it goes, if it isn't too important.

Being positive

With the April start approaching, the demands of a financial aid planner can become pretty stressful. When I am working on files, I like to look at the name of the person on the file and keep in mind their happiness of completing their degree and working towards their furture. This helps minimize the stress of a complicated file and makes me feel better about helping someone meet their goals in life.

Boss who leaves Early

How do you deal with a Boss who leaves work early almost everyday?

Stress

This is wonderful topic- I am going to start adopting these changes right away- Does anyone else walk at lunch tim? I have heard this is great way to take a break clear the mind and regain energy and focus.

Goal Setting

This dicussion points out important topics that can be used daily in all areas - to improve overall goals - I inteed to bring this to the team and use the SMART tool- What time of year is good to adopt these goals - first of the year then mid?

No One's Perfect...

Whenever I would make a mistake, even a small mistake at work, my stress level would increase dramatically, almost to the point of a panic attack. I simply couldn't handle the idea that my mistake might not be as bad as I thought. It wasn't until I suffered through many of these incidents, and my boss or co-workers were there to help me fix the problem, that I realized it wasn't so bad. The best thing to do, as instructed in this course, is to stop, think things through, and make a rational decision as to what is the best… >>>

Managing your stress

Managing ones stress levels takes the individual's desire and confidence in ones self to implement the systems givin in this training module. Following the sequence to stress relief will enhance these stressors and may even convert them into piositive solutions.

Goal setting

This was a good refresher course. I can use this and share with others in my region. Goal setting and time management go hand in hand, it is a process to achieve the desired end result.

Stress

Wow, couldn't be a more perfect time for me to discuss stress. With impending externships/practicums coming in the near future for our first graduating class the stress is building to make sure everything is done right. On top of that, our child care situation we had agreed upon with our in-laws just exploded and now we are shopping child care centers. I deal with stress well, but there have been moments that I have slipped and let it get to me. I've found that physical activity is one of the most effective ways to rid yourself of some stress. Motivation… >>>

Love this Tutorial

This was a get tutorial. Thanks.

SOme times mutli tasking can cause to make more mistakes and actually

Mulit tasking can at times be less productive if you are constatnly making errors you have to correct

Thnak you

Great resource

Alcohol and Stress

I have friends who drink alcohol to relieve stress at the end of the day: beer, wine, etc. Is that a good idea?

Diabetes and Stress

For those of you out there who have diabetes, I think mastering the concepts presented in the modules and other tips that folks have given will help a great deal. Stress is a definite no no for diabetics. Sugar levels can go through the roof. There may be other ailments that are aggravated by stress, but I know diabetes is a big one.

Stress Relievers

Are there any other things that can be done to alleviate stress beyond those mentioned in the Stress module?

Stress busters

Life is too short. Stress will make it even shorter.

Layoffs

When you KNOW that layoffs or departments are going to be eliminated, what next???

How to deal with a boss nearing retirement

In the IT field, all staff is management and there are several bosses. On an IT team, the main report is to a lead programmer, then manager. My lead has worked for the company 42+ years and can retire at any time. The situation that we deal with daily, he no longer cares about the job/business. The senior team members are picking up his tasks (otherwise they are not getting done) because he is no longer interested. We also try to pull information from what he doesn't want to share. When the situation was discussed as a team with the… >>>

Setting and reaching your goals is the greatest accomplishment!

When a person meets their goal, they feel good about themselves and it builds confidence. It helps a person realize that if they can set their mind to it, it can be acheived.

Goal setting

It is always great to make specfic goals.