Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Team Goals

This training session was extremely informative. It provided insight that I can use to set attainable goals for my team. Understanding and realizing the importance of setting attainable goals builds confidence in the team and doesn’t discourage them from working towards those goals.

stress

We have had some kind of stress over time the best was I have found to deal with stress is to meet the problem head on and work with finding the solution.

Lead vs Follow

Always strive to be a leader, but to know how to lead u must first be a good follower. Lead by example and always use ethical behaviors for others to trust your ability an never second guess the actions you take.

Agenda

Interestingly, I receive meeting requests all of the time, but I have never required an agenda prior. This is such a simple idea that I have been missing for a longtime. I will definitely be implementing this moving forward!

Indiscipline

I repeat myself when under stress. I repeat myself when under stress. I repeat...

Organizing Stress

As per the suggestion in the course, a good way to handle stress is making a list of tasks and tackling them one by one. This ensures organization and tackles both short term and long term goals. This is one method I personally use and have been using for many years. I like seeing my goals in front of me, and the task alone of making a list relieves some of my stress. However, sometimes I end up making list after list after list and find that very little gets done! How can this cycle of lists be prevented? Is… >>>

Understandin your boss

How does you boss communicate with his/her employees and is it an effective method?

Active, Sympathetic Listening

I have to admit, I appreciate sympathetic listening but have not always been good at it myself. The two simple changes I've made: giving someone my complete attention (leaving my phone at my desk) and letting them speak (not my nature) have made a huge difference. It's a combination of offering reassurance and allowing some venting--I realize that people need validation of being heard. Even on the small scale of a 2 min conversation, the benefit is very noticeable in terms of stress and emotional charge of the situation. I can see that it has long term value and adds… >>>

Leaders

Sometimes leaders have to assess a situation, then make a decision. Critical thinking is essential.

Dealing with Student Stress / time management

Understanding the stress and time management issues that affect our student's overall academic achievement is crucial in balancing our own stress and time management issues.

Follow up

Why it's important to manage your daily schedule.?

Soft Touch

I have found in my owm time management eval that because of my of my softer disposition people approach me all the time to help with their problems or to ask me questions about our goals. It takes up too much of my time daily.

Staying Educated on New Stress Management and Health Topics

I just wanted to put in my two cents about being proactive in preventing and/or dealing with stress and health issues that arise when working in an office environment. There are an incredible amount of studies published online about the dangers of sitting all day long and other aspects of office jobs that are detrimental to our mental and physical health. As exercising and working towards healthy eating habits has proven to combat the effects of stress, I thought these sources relevant for this forum: http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21583239-real-science-lies-behind-fad-standing-up-work-standing-orders http://www.prevention.com/health/healthy-living/good-news-if-you-sit-desk-all-day http://theweek.com/article/index/235234/is-exercise-better-for-your-brain-than-crossword-puzzles

Get SMART

Well its been years since I've taken a real goal setting course except for those so-called half day ones at a hotel with lunch [chicken] included. I realize now that over time my goal setting techniques have lost their luster. Starting today I am promising myself to reincorperate all of the letters in SMART when doing any future goal planning of any type! I encourage all to do the same because when I took these techneques to the highest levels they changed my life

goal setting for long term employees

I found this course informative as a long term instructor. I think it will help me refresh my outlook moving forward.

Time management

The course content helped me a great deal in the work place and my personal time management. I know we all have the same number hours in the day, but it is how we utilize those hours that makes us productive.

yoga and qigong

I am in a very fortunate situation at work where we teach stress relieving activities like yoga and qigong. Both practices incorporate breathing exercises, movements of the body and meditation. For some students the practice of calming the mind comes natural and for others it is a skill that warrants constant practice.

setting goals

I often find it hard to reach my long term goals because I want things to happen overnight, however, I am learning how to be patient.

Refocusing priorities

This course showed the changes in the new structure of today's business. This will be valuable information as I change the primary focus from growing my own self to helping others to improve and become more valuable to the company.

Health Issues and Stress

What has really been stressful for me is that I had a surgery over four months ago. One would categorize me as a workaholic, by choice not by pressure from above. I truly love my job, and am actively seeking advancement. I knew the surgery would slow me down a bit; however, I have experienced some unforeseen complications. Physically I am not well, which is stressful in and of itself, but not being able to perform up to par by my own standards has created a whole other type of stress. I am still completing all required tasks and have… >>>