Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Managing your stress

Managing ones stress levels takes the individual's desire and confidence in ones self to implement the systems givin in this training module. Following the sequence to stress relief will enhance these stressors and may even convert them into piositive solutions.

There is definitely good and bad stresses. Even in difficult times we can learn from the experience. It is essential we always analyze our experiences. This can be helpful to you and your colleagues.

i find that i have a certain level of stress that i can't seem to get rid of i just lok beyond that

There is good and bad stress. It is important to understand we are always on a learning curve. We can learn from bad stress to prepare for future events.

When I find myself feeling more stress than normal I try to combat it by adding something to my life that I have gotten away from recently. If I have not been exercising like I should then I pump up the tires on my bike or avoid the TV and pick up a new book and get in 15 or twenty minutes every night.

Those things that are essential to our reducing stress and lengthening our life are:

Exercise
Mental activity
Spiritual Awareness
Recreation

I have found that unfortunately in todays society, people are using "medicine" to help their stress rather than natural methods such as breathing and relaxing. A pill can help if need be, but it isn't always the best way to go because your body becomes dependent on it after a time.

I see the same thing and I think it is typical of our culture. In today's culture if you feel something then take a pill to cover it up. The days of going out and working off some stress by taking a good long walk or go fishing seem to be out of style. A co-worker that has been putting in some extra hours went to the doctor and was given three scripts instead of dialing back the hours and working some exercise or reading time into her day.

Artificial methods never work as well as rest, exercise, mental inspiration and spiritual refresh. Each person needs to find their inner self control to be in control. Especially for bad stress

I agree with you. Some of the simple techniques for stress release are the best and healthiest. We sometimes create more stress by looking for quick fixes instead of a good regiment on life events being handled from a logical standpoint.

We are creatures of habit and it is very difficult to break our routines but I find that if I force myself to open a book instead of turning on the TV or go for a short ride on my bicycle instead of immediately interact with my family after work, I am in a much better state of mind.

We often look for the quick fixes for stress but often they are not to long lasting or even good for your health. We do seem to allow ourselves to get into some bad habits. Our conscientous is the best guide to what we need to do!

I think an important thing to consider is that one needs to recognize that some form of change needs to occur if there is to be a decrease in stress. Once recognition has taken place, accepting, implementing and evaluating that change is necessary. As long as methods chosen to alleviate stress are not counter-productive, then choose whatever works best for you, but consciously take the time to change activities and decompress. It will probably take some trial and error. If what you've chosen doesn't seem to be working, try something else. Better yet, a variety of methods makes sense. If spiritual healing helps, then that's great, but it's not for everyone. Getting physical exercise, reading a good page-turner, doing a puzzle, actually sitting down to a good meal (as opposed to eating on the go), spending quality time with your family - all these things make sense because most people enjoy them and they generally have nothing to do with work. The point is, get your mind off it. There's a reason the person's name you couldn't think of suddenly occurs to you a day later while you're watering the lawn. The answers come to you when your mind and body are refreshed.

You have mentioned some of the primary items for stress release. You are correct that different things work for each individual. The most important step is to realize you have stress. The biggest killer in stress is the silent stress some people don't realize because they learn to live with it. Even when you don't think you have stress you should still have best practices for stepping back and catching your breathe. My father always used to say to me to not to forget to smell the roses. Mind control with what fits you best should be done just for good health habits.

I agree on this. I always have to explain to my students different methods of managing your stress. Here on campus I always tell them to drink water or juice and to avoid the sugary drinks and caffeine. I also explain to them that the field they are entering into (Baking & Pastry) is extremely stressful, but if you just stop, breathe and focus you will be ok. Also to make sure you get the proper amount of sleep and eat healthy you will enjoy the field much more because you will be going into work relaxed and focused, instead of tired and unfocused. The students that listen and take the advice do much better in their school career but also out in the industry.

Joseph,

It is quite true the best method for stress control is how you treat your body. Balance in your life with leisure, exercise, enjoyable mental activity and spritual rejuvenation is steps in the correct direction. What we feed our body is also a big factor in how we address our stress. Some things as you point out can be of help and others only increase the issues.

Gary

Sign In to comment