Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Diabetes and Stress

For those of you out there who have diabetes, I think mastering the concepts presented in the modules and other tips that folks have given will help a great deal. Stress is a definite no no for diabetics. Sugar levels can go through the roof. There may be other ailments that are aggravated by stress, but I know diabetes is a big one.

Stress can be culprit for many diseases. Protecting your health will be enhanced by learning how to control your stress.

My stress level was to the point that I was having anxiety attacks. When I went to the doctor to see if anything could be done for my anxiety attacks he discovered that I also had Type 2 diabetes. The combination of the 2, anxiety and diabetes, made me realize that I needed to take a step down. I had to do something to relieve my stress level. It took me a while to face the fact that I couldn't do it all. I had to realize that reducing my load didn't make me a quiter, I was doing the right thing, not only for my position and co-workers but for my health. Now that I have cut back on my responsiblities and am following doctors orders, I am seeing a real change in the quality of my life and I am enjoying my job again.
Had this material been available ealier I might have avoided both the anxiety attacks and diabetes.

I thought this was a wifes tale until one afternoon a particulaly strssful situation cause a spie in my blood sugar. I have been practicing some of the technics here and have to say I am impressed with the results.

Good for you. By practicing your techniques it will soon become a matter of habit for you. We to often slowly move away from good habits if we don't keep them a routine.

I have been encouraged to try yoga as an effective way to manage stress & exercise. Any thoughts?

I applaud you for your willingness to have a plan for effective stress managment. There all types of techniques but they may not be for everyone. If Yoga works for you then it is a blessing in disguise. The stress relief approach is to have a balance in your life of exercise, mental activity and spirtual rejuvenation. Yoga has a little of all this.

Good Luck

This resonates with me because I am also Type II and the biggest worrier on the planet. I started a new position this past year and my anxiety levels at times are through the roof and I guess being a perfectionist doesn't help. I am also a fitness fanatic and martial artist; however, I became ill this past summer and I'm not ready to get back to this level of exercise. Punching and kicking bags or sparring with others was great stress relief (in a controlled environment, of course). It seems that nonstop problem solving and learning my new position are competing with each other. There is a lot of good ideas in this module as well as reading how others handle stress.

Christine,
I hope you are feeling well now. It is important to take everything with a moderate beginning and then increase the engagement. As far as your work goes a new position is always a sressful moment but as time goes and you get familiar with your new job the anxiety will go away. Knowing this puts a light at the end of the tunnel for you.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Sign In to comment