Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Layoffs

When you KNOW that layoffs or departments are going to be eliminated, what next???

Try to be prepared or get prepared for the unexpected. It might be time to get your resume together and look around a bit. Since no one knows what is in the future, all we can do is try to get ready for the unforseeable. In the process of doing this, I think that that will help to alleviate a lot of stress.

Strategy with confidence helps to prepare us for the unforeseen.

My current place of employment just completed a sizable reduction in force. We had approximately 2 months notice prior to the actually event taking place. Most employees were walking on “pins and needles” for the first few weeks after hearing of the company’s intentions. Shortly after, their mind set changed, realizing that they had no control over what would take place. At no time during this waiting period, did the quality of work by any of the staff members, regardless of department, diminish. This was contrary to what I expected. They used the stress they experienced and redirected it professionally, improving the way they performed their job.

Ralph,

Sometimes we do what may be a surprise to an employer. By performing at a even higher rate is believed will make the decision tough to make the layoff decision.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Ihave been through downsizing twice now and going through it again the third time. I have learned that you can't let yourself worry about what you can not change, but be proactive in your own future. When you know the end of a position is coming, start networking, revamp your resume and get looking.

Danella,
In todays work environment we change jobs numerous times in our lifetime. After 43 years I have looked at my job changes as a blessing to encounter new challenges and meet some great people. The main point for you is to continue to believe in yourself and strive to contribute in a new chapter in your life. Your self worth is important to you. Keep it secure with yourself.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I have been through a bankruptcy, a merger and an acquisition and lost my job in each of these instances. The best way I found to handle the stress of these situations is to plan ahead. I always have my resume updated and savings equivalent to 6 months of household expenses.

Sign In to comment